'Huge mistake': Fans slam DC Studios head James Gunn for not bringing Henry Cavill back as 'Superman'

'The entire thing could be rebooted and Cavill still be Superman. The public likes him for the role,' said a fan
Henry Cavill's 'Superman' was not a priority to the DC Studios co-head James Gunn (IMDb/Matt Winkelmeyer/Getty Images)
Henry Cavill's 'Superman' was not a priority to the DC Studios co-head James Gunn (IMDb/Matt Winkelmeyer/Getty Images)

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Last year when Henry Cavill starred in Dwayne Johnson's 'Black Adam's post-credit scene, fans lost their calm as he returned to DC Universe after a long time. Shortly after Cavill posted a video of him where he made it official that he is hopping back on the bandwagon of DCEU. However, this didn't last too long as Cavill's shock announcement in December that he would 'not be returning as Superman' was one of many signs that James Gunn and Peter Safran planned major shakeups to the DC franchise. 'The changing of the guard is something that happens. I respect that. James and Peter have a universe to build,' Cavill said at the time.

However, fans are very unhappy with this decision as Cavill is the only one who was removed, whereas starting from Jason Momoa to Ezra Miller, everyone gets to keep their roles. Previously Gunn stated that Henry Cavill's 'Superman' was a priority to them, safe to say it never was. Regardless, a series of new movies are lined up for this year starting with 'Shazam' ad ending with Momoa's 'Aquaman'. 

RELATED ARTICLES

'We know who to blame': Fans diss James Gunn after DC studios announced its 10 year plan

'Bring back Zack Snyder' trends as DC fans say 'nothing's been same since he left'

James Gunn stated 'for me, for this story, it isn't Henry'

New DC Studios bosses James Gunn and Peter Safran have defended their decision not to bring back Henry Cavill as Superman as they reboot the DC Universe with a new over-arching storyline.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, 'We didn't fire Henry. Henry was never cast,' said Gunn during a presentation to reporters announcing plans for five new DCU films and five new TV series. Gunn explained: 'For me, it's about who do I want to cast as Superman and who do the filmmakers we have want to cast. And for me, for this story, it isn't Henry.' 'I like Henry, I think he's a great guy. I think he's getting d****d around by a lot of people, including the former regime at this company. But this Superman is not Henry, for a number of reasons,' he added.

'It's Henry and will always be about him'

Fans started dissing Gunn soon after quoting his former statements and questioning if most of the actors are returning for their roles then why Cavill isn't. A fan said, "It's Henry and will always be about him boss not casting him that mistake will follow you forever." Another wrote, "Wasn’t cast? He literally appeared in Black Adam and DC announced a new Superman movie with Henry Cavill along with several other appearances for him but okay." A fan shared, "To preface i want everyone recast but this doesnt make sense bc if cavill was never cast then none of them were so he chose who to bring back and who not to so while he may never have “fired” him its the same thing since hes bringing half the cast back but not Cavill."

A fan tweeted, "This decision makes no sense and he knows. The entire thing could be rebooted and Cavill still be Superman. The public likes him and a good director would extract his charisma for the role, which is something Snyder never did. People would start to like him even more." Lastly, a fan commented, "This is a huge mistake. Fans loved Henry. When he appeared in Black Adam's post-credit scene for a brief moment everyone was extremely joyful." 



 



 



 



 



 

Regardless, a new set of DC movies are premiering this year. Starting with 'Shazam! Fury of the Gods,' coming March 17, and continuing with 'The Flash' (June 16), 'Blue Beetle' (Aug. 18), and ending with 'Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom' on December 25.

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

GET THE BIGGEST ENTERTAINMENT STORIES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

'In the Grey' opened to mixed reviews from critics, putting the focus on the possibility of a sequel
1 day ago
While critics panned it, John Travolta was awarded a special Palme d'Or at Cannes ahead of the world premiere of his directorial debut
1 day ago
Director Jeff Fowler shares a major ‘Sonic the Hedgehog 4’ update as fans begin discussing the movie’s next villain.
1 day ago
Amazon MGM Studios begins the search for the next 'James Bond' as speculation grows around several major Hollywood contenders.
2 days ago
Matt Reeves teases new additions to the ‘Batman: Part II’ cast as fans speculate Scarlett Johansson’s role may be related to Harvey Dent’s story
2 days ago
‘CoComelon’ heads to theaters on February 19, 2027, with a star-studded voice cast
2 days ago
Will Smith's next outing would be his first film since the 2024 action movie 'Bad Boys: Ride or Die,' starring alongside Martin Lawrence.
3 days ago
The upcoming film will see Brad Pitt returning to the big screen after the blockbuster hit 'F1' released in the summer of 2025.
3 days ago
Netflix announces the development of ‘Grown Ups 3’ with Adam Sandler returning as Executive Producer.
3 days ago
The filmmaker took to X (formerly Twitter) on Wednesday, revealing the slate of actors appearing in the sequel.
3 days ago