Why did Winston Marshall quit 'Mumford & Sons'? Guitarist was slammed for praising Andy Ngo’s book
Winston Marshall announced the news of quitting 'Mumford and Sons' explaining that he made the 'difficult decision' after causing a controversy
'Mumford & Sons' guitarist Winston Marshall, 33, has quit the band. He announced the news on Twitter explaining that he made the 'difficult decision' after causing a controversy earlier this year. Marshall referred to his tweet about US journalist Andy Ngo's book 'Unmasked: Inside Antifa's Radical Plan To Destroy Democracy', which caused a huge furore.
In a now-deleted tweet, Marshall posted a picture of Andy Ngo's book and wrote, "Congratulations @MrAndyNgo. Finally had the time to read your important book You’re a brave man." Marshall faced backlash on Twitter for posting about the 'important book'.
Announcing his departure from Mumford & Sons the musician said in a Medium blog, "From odysseys through the Scottish Islands to headlining Glastonbury, from The Betsy Trotwood to Madison Square Garden. We've done it all. What a blessing it was to be so close to such talent as those three lads. I will look back at it all with immense pride and love. However, after much reflection and consideration, I have decided it is time to move on."
“Why I’m Leaving Mumford & Sons” by Winston Marshallhttps://t.co/JUraN3IDr3— Winston Marshall (@MrWinMarshall) June 24, 2021
Blaming the 'Twitter storm' for his decision, Marshall further wrote, "This is a difficult decision first brought about by an unintentional Twitter storm." Explaining his controversial tweet, the musician wrote, "At the beginning of March I tweeted to American journalist Andy Ngo, author of the New York Times Bestseller, Unmasked." He added, "Over the course of 24 hours it was trending with tens of thousands of angry retweets and comments. I failed to foresee that my commenting on a book critical of the Far-Left could be interpreted as approval of the equally abhorrent Far-Right. Nothing could be further from the truth. To call me “fascist” was ludicrous beyond belief."
He continued, "At the time of the incident emotions were high and despite the furore, the band invited me to continue with them. I've spent much time since reflecting, reading and listening. I know now that, as long as I am a member of the band, speaking my mind on the evils of political extremism could bring them trouble. My loyalty and love for them cannot permit that." He further added, "However to remain in the band and self-censor will gnaw my conscience, erode my integrity. By leaving I hope to speak freely without them suffering the consequences." Marshall mentioned he will continue to work on a project he co-founded in January this year, called Hong Kong Link Up, a non-profit organisation which "aims to link up British residents with Hong Kongers arriving in the UK".
He ended his statement by saying, "The band has been the ride of a lifetime. I leave with love in my heart and I wish them nothing but the best. To the band, colleagues, partners, crew, everyone who ever came to a show and everyone that supported the band, I thank you." 'Mumford and Sons' Twitter handle posted a farewell message for Marshall which said, "We wish you all the best for the future, Win, and we love you man. M, B & T."
We wish you all the best for the future, Win, and we love you man. M, B & T. pic.twitter.com/EiXTIkxxL5— Mumford & Sons (@MumfordAndSons) June 24, 2021