Axing 'Roseanne' "wasn't that difficult" says ABC boss teasing upcoming spinoff 'The Conners'

Since the headline-grabbing cancellation, though, the ABC boss has opened up for the first time, reflecting on the decision to pull the plug on 'Roseanne' .

Axing 'Roseanne' "wasn't that difficult" says ABC boss teasing upcoming spinoff 'The Conners'

Channing Dungey, ABC Entertainment president, had stirred news around two months back with her swift decision to give the boot to "TV's no. 1 comedy" Roseanne. Prompted by show star Roseanne Barr's racially insensitive and offensive tweets, the decision was met with a barrage of positive feedback from all corners, ultimately leading to the network moving ahead with a fresh new spinoff, 'The Conners', sans Barr. Since the headline-grabbing cancellation, though, the ABC boss has opened up for the first time in an interview, reflecting on the decision to pull the plug on 'Roseanne' and the response sparked by the act. 

"It wasn't that difficult," Dungey said, as quoted by The Hollywood Reporter. "It felt like a line had been crossed and we needed to stand by our values as a company." While most fans and insiders involved with the industry were receptive towards ABC's choice, in the following days, a host of Barr supporters had raised a hue and cry over social media. But that is hardly a deterrent to Dungey, who seems more than fixed on her decision. 

ABC Entertainment Group President Channing Dungey attends the Women In Film 2018 Crystal + Lucy Awards presented by Max Mara, Lancôme and Lexus at The Beverly Hilton Hotel on June 13, 2018 in Beverly Hills, California.
ABC Entertainment Group President Channing Dungey attends the Women In Film 2018 Crystal + Lucy Awards presented by Max Mara, Lancôme and Lexus at The Beverly Hilton Hotel on June 13, 2018 in Beverly Hills, California.

"I think the swift, decisive action really spoke volumes and I think we're proud of what we did. I am excited about the fact that we were able to bring the cast back and a majority of the crew back to work on The Conners, that's important to me," the ABC executive said sharing a little teaser of what's to follow. "That was my one disappointment that day — thinking about the innocent people who were affected by the decision. The fact that we're now able to move forward with The Conners feels good," she added. 

Considering how the remaining cast of 'Roseanne' was affected by the action, moving ahead, the network and Disney took special care to ensure Barr was not involved with any of the further developments. As Dungey explains, "We were very clear about the fact that if we were going to move forward, Roseanne Barr would need to have no involvement with the show. We were able to come to a place where everybody felt comfortable and good about that," in a separate interview with Variety. 



With 'The Conners' on the production brink, and many more shake-ups in terms of ABC's schedule, Dungey has also been dishing about future shows, especially the ones involving our favorite Marvel heroes. And if her words are any indication, there might be more MCU-set shows on the horizon. 

“In terms of Marvel, we have some things that we are in discussions with them right now that we are in development,” she said adding, “I’m very excited about it.”