Are The Russo Brothers directing MCU's 'Secret Wars'? Joe Russo says 'no conversations with Marvel yet'

"Secret Wars, was our favorite series growing up. And I think it always gets turned into a bigger story, but to be clear, there is no story," he said
Directors Anthony Russo (L) and Joe Russo (Getty Images)
Directors Anthony Russo (L) and Joe Russo (Getty Images)

The Russo Brothers have denied rumors of helming Marvel's 'Secret Wars'. The 'Avengers: Endgame' directors quashed speculations of coming back to direct another MCU flick saying there were no conversations with Marvel about the project. They're currently promoting their latest Netflix spy thriller, 'The Gray Man' starring Ryan Gosling, Chris Evans, and Ana de Armas in lead roles.

The duo had also previously mentioned that they would be interested in seeing ‘Secret Wars’ on the silver screen, "If Disney's takeover of Fox goes through, there are a lot more characters to work with all of a sudden," Joe Russo said back in 2018. "It might be interesting to do something like Secret Wars." And quite recently, they also spoke of "being open" to directing another Marvel flick. Apart from 'Endgame', the duo co-directed three blockbusters — 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' (2014), 'Captain America: Civil War' (2016', and 'Avengers: Infinity War' (2018). 

ALSO READ

'She's a brand': Jennifer Lopez SLAMMED for changing her famous surname to Affleck after wedding

Jose Benitez-Tilley: Indiana man gets 65 years after killing 2 people and sexually abusing dead female victim

Will The Russo Brothers direct MCU's rumored 'Secret Wars'?

In an interview with the Happy Sad Confused podcast, the co-directors addressed recent theories of returning to the MCU to direct a rumored 'Secret Wars' project. When asked if they were talking to Marvel Studios, Joe Russo said that "there are no conversations. "We just always answer truthfully when we're asked, you know, 'would you work with them?' Of course, we would, we adore them. 'What would you like to do?' Secret Wars, was our favorite series growing up. And I think it always gets turned into a bigger story, but to be clear, there is no story," he said.

TOP STORIES

Prince Harry has NO RESPECT for Camilla, not interested in developing relationship, claims expert

3 Utah babysitters arrested on 19 counts of child abuse for beating, burning and stabbing 2 boys

The original ‘Secret Wars’ storyline was explored in a twelve-issue comic book crossover limited series published from May 1984 to April 1985 by Marvel Comics. In the story, the mysterious being known as the Beyonder brought heroes and villains from Earth to a planet called Battleworld and pitted them against each other. Last month, Marvel Studios head honcho, Kevin Feige said MCU's direction will be clearer by end of Phase 4. "As we're nearing the end of Phase 4, I think people will start to see where this next saga is going," Feige told Total Film. "I think there have been many clues already, that is at least apparent to me, of where this whole saga is going."

The Russo Brothers' much-awaited action-thriller 'The Gray Man' releases on July 22 on Netflix.

GET THE BIGGEST ENTERTAINMENT STORIES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

‘Scary Movie’ finally gets a Paramount+ streaming date after its successful theatrical run and Wayans brothers reunion.
11 hours ago
Angelina Jolie returns to directing with a story about revenge, war and one fateful meeting
12 hours ago
Firstman plays a New York nightlife promoter whose routine changes when the 10-year-old son he never knew arrives.
16 hours ago
Sebastian Stan has ended months of speculation by confirming which Gotham character he will play in Matt Reeves’ upcoming sequel.
1 day ago
‘Miami Vice ’85’ just locked in its female lead, and she's set to play Rico Tubbs' love interest
1 day ago
Shawn Levy will direct the movie after working with Ryan Gosling on 'Star Wars: Starfighter'
2 days ago
'Extraction 3' expands Chris Hemsworth's cast with five new stars, including Pierce Brosnan, as Netflix keeps their mysterious roles under wraps.
2 days ago
Rory Kennedy’s follow-up documentary, releasing on August 19, places Boeing whistleblowers at the center of its investigation.
2 days ago
Robert Downey Jr. is putting a familiar suit back on, but not for the movie people may think of
3 days ago
'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales,' which was released in 2017, was the last film in the franchise
3 days ago