Tanajah Johnson: Detroit girl, 14, tragically loses eye after can of hairspray explodes at salon

Tanajah Johnson: Detroit girl, 14, tragically loses eye after can of hairspray explodes at salon
Tanajah Johnson, 14, had facial injuries from the can's shards, including a fractured nose, damaged eye socket, and bone bits lodged in her mouth (GoFundMe)

DETROIT, MICHIGAN: A Detroit teenager suffered serious injuries after a can of hair spray exploded at a salon. Tanajah Brown Johnson, 14, was at a hair appointment when the can of hairspray exploded in the salon after being placed too close to a curling iron heater, on Saturday, January 7. Tanajah had facial injuries from the can's shards, including a fractured nose, damaged eye socket, and fragments of bone inside her mouth were broken. The 14-year-old is being treated at Children's hospital.

ADVERTISEMENT

Tanajah's mother remembered how terrifying it was to have to see her daughter at the trauma center of the hospital. “When I got to Sinai Grace, they had her in the trauma center and I burst into tears,” Latina Johnson told Local 4 News. She further said that they are concentrating on recuperation rather than the future because Tanajah has already lost vision in one of her eyes as a result of the tragic incident. “She’s in good spirits,” said her mother. “She’s always like, ‘Mom, will I be able to see again?’ I’m just comforting her and letting her know you’ll be fine and we’ll get through this,” reported The Sun

READ MORE

Student, 17, shot near Coney Island high school, second teen injured in shooting this week

Utah teen, 17, succumbs to traumatic injuries after being run over by pick-up truck en route to school

The accountable hairstylist who goes by the name of Stylesbymacc on Instagram apologized to the youngster and her family and took responsibility for placing hairspray close to the heater. The 14-year-old made an appointment after seeing the stylist's portfolio on Instagram. Recently, the hairdresser stated on a GoFundMe page created by Tanajah's family, "I truly never meant to hurt that baby and I'm truly sorry from the bottom of my heart."

ADVERTISEMENT

The salon owner is allegedly unlicensed and uninsured, according to Tanajah's mother, “Please note that I am an unlicensed hairdresser and attend cosmetology school to obtain my license" reads a message on the salon owner's Instagram page. “She tells me, "I don’t have insurance and I don’t own a business because I rent the business,” Latina Johnson said. “So I’m like, ‘Well, my baby is here in the hospital. What are we going to do?’ And that was it.” The mother further added, “She wants to be a doctor. She has her whole life ahead of her.”

The GoFundMe page created for Tanajah states, "i everyone me and my family is trying to raise money for my daughter medical bill expenses and eye surgery …. I am devastated my baby will never be able to see or look the same again … we will be grateful for anything and everything givin, please donate whatever you can."

Share this article: Tanajah Johnson: Detroit girl, 14, tragically loses eye after can of hairspray explodes at salon