Former 'X-Factor' contestants to sue Simon Cowell's SyCo for 'bullying, mistreatment and neglect'
The over $1M lawsuit against Cowell's company is being filed by five solo singers and one group
LONDON, UK: Several former contestants from 'X-Factor' are reportedly planning to sue record executive Simon Cowell's company, SyCo for £1,000,000(~$1,174,949). The million-dollar lawsuit against the label alleges "bullying, mistreatment and neglect." The five solo acts and one group involved in the lawsuit claim they have ample evidence to corroborate their allegations, which include emails, recordings and psychological assessments.
The former contestants of the music competition have been approaching lawyers to discuss the case and push it forward. According to SyCo, none of the allegations point towards the fact that Simon was, in any way, aware or even involved in the acts claimed by the complainants.
According to the Sunday Mirror, one of the singers behind the lawsuit described their time on the show as "a horrific experience." "We’ve been suffering for years as a result. It’s awful. Myself and five former acts have agreed to join forces and get the justice we feel we deserve," said the singer. The common grievances shared by the six former acts caused them to come together.
Holding Cowell responsible, they feel that the 62-year-old record executive's actions and behavior caused them irreparable loss. One of them said, "Simon needs to take responsibility. We lost a lot of money from having periods of our lives not making money to deal with trauma still ingrained from the show." Justifying the amount claimed, they revealed that this was the bare amount spent by them to cover medical expenses and treatment.
Speaking to The Mirror, a representative from 'X Factor' said, "Welfare of those taking part is our No1 priority and we have robust measures and welfare teams in place to ensure support is always available. We are unaware of any legal claims being filed against The X Factor and despite not being on air for several years, we remain open to discuss concerns with anyone who chooses to do so."
So far, there has been no word from Cowell regarding the allegations. He also has far more troubles on his plate in addition to this lawsuit. Notably, an upcoming television exposé on the famed 'X Factor' is set to be aired that will purportedly feature sensational allegations and further claims of exploitation and harassment of contestants over the show's long history.
Several former contestants, stars and associates of the show will be coming forward to reveal what went on once the camera stopped rolling. This also comes after a former finalist, Katie Waissel, claimed that she had been sexually assaulted by a member of the show. Another contestant, Fleur East, who was part of the show in 2014, spoke of Cowell leaving her out to dry as he "put [her] on a shelf" after the release of one album.
Notably, 'X Factor' had been among the most watch television shows in the UK and propelled artists to global fame and recognition. Some of the stars who emerged out of the show were One Direction, Little Mix and JLS.