Royal insiders fear Meghan Markle's bombshell interview will OVERSHADOW Princess Diana's 25th death anniversary
MONTECITO, CALIFORNIA: Royal insiders fear that Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, will overshadow the 25th anniversary of Princess Diana's death because of her latest sensational interview. In a lengthy interview with New York Magazine's The Cut on Monday, August 29, Meghan Markle reportedly opened up about the royal family, claiming that Prince Harry has "lost" his relationship with his father, Prince Charles, and revealing how "happy" she was to leave the UK.
The exclusive interview was held at her and Harry’s $14.5 million Montecito, California home. While some who know her told Page Six that Markle had no say in when the story would publish, it comes just two days before her husband and his older brother, Prince William, unite to mark the 25th death anniversary of their mother. Diana tragically died in a car crash in Paris on August 31, 1997, at age 36.
Duchess claimed in her interview to The Cut that just by "existing," she and her husband were "upsetting the hierarchy." One palace insider told Page Six, "It seems that Meghan always needs there to be some kind of reference to her and Diana," adding, "But on this particular occasion, her camp could have asked for the story to run after the anniversary. It does make things all about Meghan."
According to a source who knows Meghan told that the 41-year-old conducted the interview to promote her new Spotify podcast "Archetype," which debuted last week. Her first episode featured tennis champion Serena Williams, and a second episode featuring Mariah Carey will be released on Tuesday, a day before the anniversary.
"She will have been under contract to do publicity for Spotify,” the Meghan's source said. Later added "Knowing how Harry feels about his mother, the last thing she would want to do is upset him. But Spotify did announce earlier this year that the podcast would be out in late summer." According to PageSix Harry, 37, and William, 40, always mark the anniversary quietly, with Harry visiting his mother's grave at Althorp House, nearly 100 miles north of London.
The Duke of Sussex, 37, expressed his hopes and plans for the upcoming anniversary of Princess Diana's death during remarks at the Sentebale Polo Cup in Colorado on Thursday, August 25. Sentebale, the organization Harry founded in 2006 with Prince Seeiso of Lesotho to help children in Africa affected by poverty, inequality, HIV/AIDS, and, most recently, COVID-19, benefited from the charity match at the Aspen Valley Polo Club.
When their mother Diana died, the princes were just 15 and 12. Harry said, "Next week is the 25th anniversary of my mother’s death, and she most certainly will never be forgotten. I want it to be a day filled with memories of her incredible work and love for the way that she did it."
The palace insider was shocked by Markle's comments about Harry's "lost relationship" with Charles, as the future king met up with the young family in July to celebrate Queen Elizabeth's Platinum Jubilee, meeting his granddaughter Lilibet for the first time. "I think the family and Charles will think, ‘Well, this is news to us’ about any rift."
Author Omid Scobie tweeted, "There seems to be confusion in some headlines about this quote in The Cut interview. I understand that Prince Harry is actually referring to Meghan's loss of her own father, and Meghan is saying she doesn't want Harry to lose his."
There seems to be confusion in some headlines about this quote in The Cut interview. I understand that Prince Harry is actually referring to Meghan's loss of her own father, and Meghan is saying she doesn't want Harry to lose his. pic.twitter.com/rAZBK9J6Qz— Omid Scobie (@scobie) August 29, 2022