NO GUILT HERE! Prince Harry wants Netflix to delay his documentary to COINCIDE with memoir release
The Duke of Sussex has been working on the series as part of his estimated $100M deal with the streaming giant
Prince Harry is attempting to get Netflix to delay the broadcast of his controversial fly-on-the-wall documentary until after Christmas so that it coincides with the publication of his explosive biography, according to Daily Mail. The Duke of Sussex has been working on the series as part of his estimated £88 million ($100M) deal with the streaming giant.
Deadline had earlier reported that Netflix executives "blinked first" and opted to push back the initial December release date after the US corporation received harsh criticism for its explosive fifth series of the royal drama 'The Crown'.
However, according to a new report from The Sun, Harry's crew has been "frantically" requesting that Netflix postpone the project. This follows reports that Harry and Meghan are requesting "major cuts" to the show and are "at war" with the producers.
'Spare', Harry's memoir, was intended to be released in conjunction with the docu. However, Harry wanted to make last-minute revisions, prompting the publishers to postpone its release until January 10. A source told The Sun, "Harry simply does not want it coming out before Christmas." This comes after allegations that the couple intends to make changes to the series in order to "downplay much of what they have said about King Charles III, Queen Consort Camilla, and the Prince and Princess of Wales," according to Daily Mail.
Page Six earlier reported that the pair were "having second thoughts about the proposal" following the Queen's death. "Harry and Meghan are terrified of attempting to tone down even the most basic words. But it's their narrative, told by them," a Netflix source told the outlet last month.
"They've made considerable requests to walk back content they've provided," another source claimed.
As reported by Sun, Netflix initially refused the couple's request to delay the series. However, it is still being determined whether a final decision has been reached. As part of their lucrative TV deal, the Sussexes have been followed everywhere by camera crews. Large portions of the Netflix episode were shot prior to the Queen's death.
However, cameras were not permitted on the Windsor estate for The Queen's funeral, which was held on September 19, 2022. The series' plot has been kept under wraps, but Meghan has described it as a "love story" and a "rom-com."