Prince Harry's memoir gets a release date as he rushes to WATER DOWN bombshell book
'Harry has thrown a spanner in the works,' a source said about the bombshell memoir
NEW YORK, NEW YORK: The bombshell memoir of Prince Harry is all set to release on January 10, 2023, after a long wait, revealed the publishing industry insiders. The release of the book got delayed to the death of Queen Elizabeth II. It is reported that the publishing house Penguin Random House has signed the Duke of Sussex for a multi-million dollar three-titled deal.
According to DailyMail, the contents of his book could also contain some of the top secrets of the Royal family. Last month, it was reported that Harry might tone down his book as he feared it might not sit well with the Royal family. This is the third year since Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan Markle quit their role as working royals.
"Harry has thrown a spanner in the works," a source said. "He is keen for refinements in the light of the Queen's death, her funeral and his father Charles taking the throne," claimed a source. He then continued, "There may be things in the book which might not look so good if they come out so soon after these events. He wants sections changed now. It's not a total rewrite by any means. He desperately wants to make changes. But it might be too late."
Meanwhile, Penguin Random House also sought a rewrite of the memoir as it was too 'touch-feely' and focused heavily on mental health issues. Literary agent Matt Latimer told New York Times, "Is his goal to enhance his celebrity with a certain sector of the public, or is it to repair the rift with his family?." Further, Matt said, "Those are competing goals to some extent, and it’s hard to do both." The publishers initially described the book as, “an intimate and heartfelt memoir from the son of King Charles lll that would offer the definitive account of the experiences, adventures, losses and life lessons that have helped shape him.”
The memoir is supposed to carry all of his life story, including Harry's childhood in the public eye to his military duty in Afghanistan and becoming a husband to Meghan Markle and father to two children, reported People. As soon as he announced regarding publishing a memoir, whose name is still unannounced, he said in a statement, "I'm writing this not as the prince I was born but as the man I have become; I've worn many hats over the years, both literally and figuratively, and I hope that in telling my story — the highs and lows, the mistakes, the lessons learned — I can help show that no matter where we come from, we have more in common than we think. I'm deeply grateful for the opportunity to share what I've learned over the course of my life so far and excited for people to read a firsthand account of my life that's accurate and wholly truthful," Harry added.
Meanwhile, as he appeared for a polo match benefiting Sentebale in Aspen, Colorado, in August 2021, he revealed that he had committed $1.5 million from his forthcoming memoir to the charity, reported People. He claimed, "This is one of several donations I plan to make to charitable organizations, and I'm grateful to be able to give back in this way for the children and communities who gravely need it." Katie Nicholl, who spoke to Entertainment Tonight revealed, "The greatest threat and the greatest concern, certainly for the royals, is the forthcoming autobiography," Nicholl said. "The reason for alarm is that the royals simply don't know what to expect from what could be a bombshell of a book." She then added, "There's a lot of rumors that Prince Harry is making possibly last-minute edits to the book," she noted, "Also, in light of the Queen's death, the sensitivity, perhaps, of some of the passages that he's written about." Nicholl added, "So, the autobiography's been shrouded in secrecy, and I think it is a case of belts and braces, and the palace really is preparing for what's to come. Because Harry's taken a $35 million advance, the chances of him handing that back and saying, "'Actually, I'm not going to do this book after all,' I think that's highly unlikely."
"I think that everybody knows that the Sussexes can’t amend the book in any way. Can they make it nastier? Because otherwise, we wouldn’t get sales," said author Tom Brower to Page Six. He then added, "And there’ll just be more material about how they were snubbed and all the rest of the invective against the royal family, So I think to that extent, the delay will add to the poison.”
Another expert, Tina Brown, author of The Diana Chronicles and The Palace Papers, opined, "They are now in this bind, where they've taken all this money and Harry has made this book deal where he's supposed to spill everything about his horrible life as a royal, but now he's actually tortured about it because he understands there is no way back if he does it." She also added, "If the book continues, I don't think there is any way for Harry to return. So my view has always been that the book won't see the light of day."