Is Jay Leno OK? 72-year-old breaks collar bone and 2 ribs, cracks both kneecaps in bike crash
LAS VEGAS, NEVADA: It seems like Jay Leno has found himself a companion in the form of bad luck. The 72-year-old suffered a motorcycle accident and has broken his collar bone, two ribs, and cracked both kneecaps. This comes following the severe burn injuries he suffered when a steam engine exploded in his face just a couple of months ago.
On January 17, the comedian was riding a vintage motorcycle in Las Vegas when he pulled into a parking lot and was tripped by a piece of wire that was strung across the roadway with no sign over it.
His string of bad lucks continued as his CNBC motor show was also canceled this week. "Just last week, I got knocked off my motorcycle. So I’ve got a broken collarbone. I’ve got two broken ribs. I’ve got two cracked kneecaps," he told the Las Vegas Review-Journal. "But I’m OK! I’m OK, I’m working. I’m working this weekend."
NBC cancels 'Jay Leno's Garage' months after accident that left host with burns on his face
What is Jay Leno’s net worth? Here’s a look at TV host's whopping $52M car collection in his garage
"I turned down a side street and cut through a parking lot, and unbeknownst to me, some guy had a wire strung across the parking lot but with no flag hanging from it," he continued. "So, you know, I didn’t see it until it was too late. It just clotheslined me and, boom, knocked me off the bike. The bike kept going, and you know how that works out."
In just a span of two months, the aged television host suffered two major blows. CNBC canceled his series 'Jay Leno's Garage' this week, according to the Hollywood Reporter. MEAWW previously reported that Leno suffered some serious burn injuries to his face and hands from a gasoline fire and was treated at Grossman Burn Center. Although his eye and ear were not severely damaged, the left side of his face got burned.
On November 12, Leno and his friend Dave Killackey were working on one of his favorite cars at his LA mansion when suddenly his 1907 White Steam Car burst into flames. "The fuel line was clogged so I was underneath it. It sounded clogged and I said, 'Blow some air through the line,' and so he did," Leno said according to Daily Mail. "And suddenly, boom, I got a face full of gas. And then the pilot light jumped and my face caught on fire."
The former host of NBC's 'The Tonight Show' suffered "relatively serious" burns to "approximately seven percent of his body," including his face, chest and hands, said Dr Peter Grossman, who performed skin grafts on the star and removed his burnt skin, while replacing it with skin from a skin bank. He noted that "much of the thickness of the skin was injured."
Jay Leno was discharged from Grossman Burn Center on Monday, nine days after he suffered serious burns in a garage gasoline fire. pic.twitter.com/ktN7lUnX3V— CONSEQUENCE (@consequence) November 21, 2022
Leno has however vowed that nothing is going to stop him from working as he is scheduled to headline a comedy show at the Encore Theater for the first time on March 31.