Harry and Meghan Markle urged to release car chase video filmed by the Duke himself to prove claims
NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are facing calls to release the video they filmed during an alleged paparazzi car chase that the couple called "near catastrophic." Some believe the clip will prove the sensational duo lied about the incident.
Harry, Meghan, and her mother Doria Ragland, were allegedly hounded by the press on Tuesday night, May 16 in New York City. Reps said the trio was "extremely upset and shaken" after the incident that took place while they were traveling in Manhattan after leaving Ziegfeld Theater where the 'Suits' alum was honored at the Women of Vision Awards. The group was traveling in an SUV when they were allegedly followed by nearly 12 paparazzi. Harry reportedly recorded the chase on his cellphone and security also recorded the incident to gather evidence. Many, however, found the claims rather suspicious and called the couple "press hungry" since it was difficult to believe the chase went on for two hours in a congested place like New York City.
'I think that's all exaggerated': 'Nervous' Harry and Meghan’s cab driver says couple weren't in danger
'Makes zero sense': Security experts cast doubt on Harry and Meghan’s claim of 2-hour paparazzi chase
'Video doesn’t lie, does it?'
“Harry and Meghan and their entourage filmed key moments of the incident," a source told Radar Online. “If they want to prove their case, they should release the video and dispel those who have called in to question their version of events: the mayor of New York, the police. Video doesn’t lie, does it?” the insider added.
In one video making the rounds on the internet, Harry was seen filming the paparazzi pack outside on his iPhone. “Could this be a crucial video for the next season of their Netflix documentary?” the insider wondered.
ÚLTIMA HORA | Príncipe Harry, Meghan y su madre involucrados en una «persecución de autos casi catastrófica»: La cadena TMZ revela imágenes previo al incidente (Detalles) https://t.co/3g8eiixjsO pic.twitter.com/jlgvMQFQ87— AlbertoRodNews (@AlbertoRodNews) May 17, 2023
As mentioned, Harry, Meghan, and her mother were leaving the Women of Vision Awards at the city’s Ziegfeld Ballroom. While attempting to return home, they were allegedly followed by a team of paparazzi. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex claimed they were the victims of a "near catastrophic" chase.
“Last night, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Ms. Ragland were involved in a near catastrophic car chase at the hands of a ring of highly aggressive paparazzi," a rep for the couple said in a statement on Wednesday, May 17. “This relentless pursuit, lasting over two hours, resulted in multiple near collisions involving other drivers on the road, pedestrians, and two NYPD officers,” the rep added.
There are now 3 Contradictory statements regarding Harry & Meghan alleged car chase.🏎️📸— Oli London (@OliLondonTV) May 17, 2023
▪️1) Meghan & Harry Spokesperson describing it as a “near catastrophic chase…with multiple collisions.”
▪️2) NYPD saying “there were no reported collisions.”
▪️3) The driver of the taxi… pic.twitter.com/Y1TDaGthwg
“I have never seen, experienced anything like this. What we were dealing with was very chaotic," Chris Sanchez, a member of Harry and Meghan’s security team, told CNN. On the other hand, the photoagency that the cameramen worked for — Backgrid USA — denied chasing the couple. The agency said their photogaphers “had no intention of causing any distress or harm, as their only tool was their cameras.” Meanwhile, the NYPD acknowledged there was paparazzi following Harry and Meghan but clarified there were no collisions, injuries, or arrests.
'You’re in America now'
MEAWW previously reported how journalist Megyn Kelly was slammed for casting doubts on the Sussexes' account of events. “I’ve got questions in particular because they have a history of lying as you know, and even of exaggerating their alleged car chases," she said in an episode of her news podcast 'The Megyn Kelly Show.'
“Well, sorry, you two, but you’re in America now,” she continued. “And in America, the press has the right to photograph you when you’re in a public place, or on the streets, or leaving a place like the Ziegfeld Theatre,” Kelly added. “I’ve been followed as well, but it’s part of life in this country where we still have freedom of the press. You don’t like it? Go back home, for the love of God!” she told Harry, adding, “Take your wife with you. I don’t know how we got saddled with you to begin with."
This article contains remarks made by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm their claims or opinions.