16-year-old boy dies after being found unresponsive at Lollapalooza; mother suspects seizure

Evan Kitzmiller was found unresponsive at Lollapalooza on Sunday. His mother believes it was a seizure as Chicago police launch an investigation into the death.

                            16-year-old boy dies after being found unresponsive at Lollapalooza; mother suspects seizure

A 16-year-old boy from Mundelein in Lake County, Illinois, died Sunday night (August 5) after he was found unresponsive at the Lollapalooza music festival in Chicago's Grant Park. At about 7:50 pm local time, the teen, identified as Evan Kitzmiller, was taken by a private ambulance provider to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead nearly an hour later, Chicago police and the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office said. As the Chicago Tribune reports, the cause of the teen’s death is yet to be determined.

An autopsy will be conducted at the Cook County Examiner’s office. According to the report, the city’s Office of Emergency Management and Communications labeled the incident a “medical emergency,’’ and added in a statement: “We are saddened to learn that an individual transported from the event in critical condition last night due to a medical emergency has since passed away.” Chicago Police have launched an investigation into the death.

Melissa Kitzmiller, the boy’s mother, said she believes her son had a seizure and that his heart stopped. She also went on to add that her son did not have epilepsy and she doesn’t know what caused the seizure at this point. “He was at Lollapalooza and he had the time of his life,” Melissa Kitzmiller said, speaking to Chicago Tribune, adding that Evan attended all four days of Lollapalooza in Grant Park and he often checked in with her to share stories from the music festival.

Evan was going to be a junior this fall at Mundelein High School, where he was on the honor roll last year and a three-sport athlete his freshman year.

According to another report by Chicago Sun Times, Kitzmiller said she last heard from her son at about 6 pm Sunday, when he texted her, saying, “Going fine.”

Later, she received a “very confusing” call from someone at a medic tent at the music event. She said her son didn’t have an identification with him. “They said they believed it was our son, but they weren’t sure,” she said.

It wasn’t until about 11:30 pm when her son’s identity was confirmed, she said. Kitzmiller added that this was her son’s first Lollapalooza. He’d been going every day by train from Mundelein, returning home at night with his friends. “It was all his favorite artists there and he was having a blast,” said Kitzmiller. “He loved playing video games and listening to music,” she added. “He was a good kid.”

Lollapalooza’s organizers released a statement saying: “We are saddened to learn of the death of an individual who attended Lollapalooza on Sunday. The individual’s family and loved ones are in our thoughts during this difficult time.”