Did Prince Harry LIE about being 'cut off' financially? Royal accounts show $6.14M aid

Prince Charles continued to fund Harry and Meghan until last summer, newly released royal accounts proved


                            Did Prince Harry LIE about being 'cut off' financially? Royal accounts show $6.14M aid
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle (Photo by Kirsty Wigglesworth - Pool /Getty Images)

Despite Prince Harry's assertion that his family 'literally cut me off financially,' Prince Charles funded the Duke and Duchess of Sussex by a 'substantial sum' in the months following Megxit, news outlets reported on Wednesday, June 23.

This confirms a royal family insider's claims made in March this year that both Prince Harry and Meghan Markle lied about being 'cut off' financially, and that the Prince of Wales 'went out of his way' to support them.

READ MORE

How much money did Harry inherit from Princess Diana? He and Meghan Markle had to support themselves post-Megxit

Prince Charles stops funding Harry and Meghan after their multi-million dollar Netflix deal, says report

Royal expert Dominic Lawson had earlier criticized the Duke of Sussex, comparing him to Edward VIII, saying Harry was 'worse' than the Duke of Windsor for complaining about money in the Oprah Winfrey interview when people around the globe were struggling financially because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex arrive to attend the Mountbatten Music Festival at Royal Albert Hall on March 7, 2020, in London, England (Photo by Chris Eades - WPA Pool/Getty Images)

 

Did Harry LIE about being 'cut off' financially?

Prince Charles, the future king, continued to fund Harry and Meghan until the summer of last year from a $6.14 million Clarence House pot designed to support his two sons and their families, according to royal accounts released for the first time on Wednesday, June 23.

This contradicts Harry's claim to Oprah Winfrey during a bombshell May 2021 interview, that he stopped receiving financial assistance from his family in the "first quarter" of last year. He even stated that he and his wife were forced to survive only on what "my mother had left me." Details of Charles' ongoing financial support for his estranged younger son emerged as both Clarence House and Buckingham Palace revealed their annual financial accounts, the Daily Mail reported.

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex visit Trinity College on the second day of their official two-day royal visit to Ireland on July 11, 2018, in Dublin, Ireland (Photo by Charles McQuillan/Getty Images)

 

According to Clarence House's annual assessment, Charles' bill for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's activities, as well as other expenses such as the prince's capital expenditure and transfer to reserves in 2020/2021, was $6.14 million.

This was down from $7.82 million in 2019/2020 – the last year the Sussexes were working royals – by $1.61 million, or roughly 21%. The data were not broken down in detail in the study, and royal officials refused to elaborate. However, despite leaving the monarchy at the end of March last year, the independently audited accounts show that the Sussexes were still reported as receiving money from Charles's Duchy of Cornwall income.

HRH Prince Charles poses with his son Prince Harry during the Royal Family's ski break at Klosters on March 31, 2005, in Switzerland (Photo by Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images)

 

'Prince of Wales allocated a substantial sum'

"As we'll all remember, in January 2020 when the duke and duchess announced that they were going to move away from the working Royal Family, the duke said that they would work towards becoming financially independent. The Prince of Wales allocated a substantial sum to support them with this transition. That funding ceased in the summer of last year. The couple are now financially independent," a senior Clarence House spokesman said.

"I betray no confidence when I say they've been very successful in becoming financially independent," they added. "I wouldn't acknowledge that they are dramatically different. All I can tell you are the facts." Harry had earlier told Winfrey that he made multi-million-pound arrangements with Netflix and Spotify to pay for his family's 'security', and that he was only able to do this with the $9.77 million dollars left by his mother, Diana.

Oprah Winfrey arrives at St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle before the wedding of Prince Harry to Meghan Markle on May 19, 2018, in Windsor, England (Photo by Ian West - WPA Pool/Getty Images)

 

The couple moved to Canada first, then to California, where they acquired an £11 million family house in Montecito despite their seeming poverty. They've also established the Archewell Foundation and their own film and audio firm.

As a result of the epidemic, Charles' annual revenue from the Duchy of Cornwall earnings decreased to $28.49 million this year, a drop of $2.51 million or 8%, according to the Clarence House records. The Prince of Wales also voluntarily increased his tax payment by 3%, from $6.79 million to $7.01 million.

If you have a news scoop or an interesting story for us, please reach out at (323) 421-7514