Meghan Markle confirms her father will not be attending royal wedding 'as he needs to focus on his health'
One of the big questions swirling around the marriage of Meghan Markle with Prince William was whether the Suits actress' father would be attending the royal wedding in Windsor on May 19.
The answer to that was muddied further when it was revealed that Meghan's father, Thomas Markle, had staged paparazzi photos and by his subsequent heart troubles.
Even as he was being treated for his condition, people couldn't stop stop speculating whether he would walk his daughter down the aisle.
Now Meghan herself has put all speculations to rest by confirming that he would not be a part of the royal wedding.
“Sadly, my father will not be attending our wedding. I have always cared for my father and hope he can be given the space he needs to focus on his health,” she said.
She further thanked everyone for their support during this hard time. “I would like to thank everyone who has offered generous messages of support. Please know how much Harry and I look forward to sharing our special day with you on Saturday.”
This comes after it was revealed that Thomas will be undergoing a heart surgery just days ahead of the wedding. He further added that he does not think he will be able to attend the wedding looking at his condition.
Thomas complained about experiencing chest pain once again following the media frenzy that came after his act of posing for fake pictures came to light. He said that he was hurting both 'physically and emotionally'. He added that the 'pains have been triggered by the emotional upset'. He specifically mentioned his oldest daughter, Samantha Grant had been one of the main reasons for this.
Talking to TMZ, Thomas confessed that he will not be going to the wedding and walking Meghan down the aisle but does believe that her mother, Doria Ragland, will be a good choice for taking on the role.
"I've been popping Valium for the pain, especially when I hear about my oldest daughter," he told the website.
Thomas said that when he first experienced chest pain he admitted himself into a General Hospital in New Mexico, which he believes is a "charity hospital" and thinks that it is best for him to go to another hospital soon, as he is worried he is going to have yet another attack.
When the incident first came to light, the palace has issued a statement with regard to the situation. “This is a deeply personal moment for Ms. Markle in the days before her wedding,” said a spokesman. “She and Prince Harry ask again for understanding and respect to be extended to Mr. Markle in this difficult situation.”