Demi Lovato 'awake and responsive' after being hospitalized following heroin overdose
Demi Lovato has struggled with substance abuse for years. In June, she revealed that she had relapsed just months after celebrating six years of sobriety
Demi Lovato was rushed to the hospital following a heroin overdose on Tuesday just weeks after she spoke about her relapse. The 25-year-old 'Sober' singer was taken to a hospital in Los Angeles on Tuesday around noon from her home in the Hollywood Hills, TMZ reported. Following the reports, Demi's aunt Kerissa Dunn took to social media and posted that Demi is now "awake and responsive."
Just last month, Demi had released a new track which speaks of her relapse from about six years of sobriety. The track consists of lyrics like 'Mama, I'm so sorry I'm not sober anymore / And Daddy, please forgive me for the drinks spilled on the floor,' and 'To the ones who never left me / We've been down this road before / I'm so sorry, I'm not sober anymore.'
Following the release of the track, Demi had also released a teaser clip to go on her social media accounts and the whole issue of her relapse was addressed only after fans of the former Disney star had pointed that she was seen holding glasses with presumably alcohol in certain video clips.
The said clip dates back to April this year, where she was photographed at singer Hayley Kiyoko's album launch party, holding a yellow tinted liquid. Critics came at her too hard for that but she had shut them down right away, saying: "I don't have to defend anything but it was red bull."
Soon after, however, she released the track Sober, where she sang: 'And I'm sorry for the fans I lost who watched me fall again / I wanna be a role model but I'm only human,' referring to her past confessions and very public opening up with her battles with addiction and also her rehab stint in 2010.
Following that, she had also broken down during the very first performance of the song — but, since then, she had deeply thanked her fans on social media for sticking by her side.
The news of the overdose came as a shock to many of her fans and followers.