Ex 'Bachelorette' star Chad Johnson arrested for robbery and domestic violence after fight with ex-girlfriend
Chad Johnson had a 'big relapse' and was under the influence when he was taken into custody after he had an altercation with ex-girlfriend Annalise Mishler
Chad Johnson of 'The Bachelorette' and 'Bachelor in Paradise' fame was arrested on February 24 on grounds of robbery and domestic violence enhancement following an altercation with his ex girlfriend, Annalise Mishler.
According to TMZ, Mishler made an emergency call to 911 on February 23. Mishler's legal team also commented that authorities were notified when neighbors spotting Chad outside her LA residence, banging on her door and screaming profanities.
Mishler reported to the police that Johnson had gotten physical with her after consuming copious amounts of alcohol. The police claimed that Mishler had visible red marks on her face and a hole in the wall of her home.
Johnson's robbery charges accused him of trying to take Mishler's phone away while she sought help from the police. And the added domestic violence charge could earn him an extended sentence if convicted, reports TMZ. He was taken into custody at the Van Nuys Jail with a bail set at $100,000.
Mishler has since filed for a restraining order against Johnson, per Us Weekly.
Mishler documented parts of the altercation and posted it on her social media, where she revealed that Johnson had been inebriated and had punched a hole in her wall in a drunken rage. In another video, Johnson is heard yelling from outside her door spewing all sorts of profanities. She also said the cause of this fight was her confrontation with Johnson about how she had noticed that he had been getting various notifications from the dating app Hinge.
Mishler defended herself from the backlash she received upon the videos being uploaded online when people admonished her and accused her of ruining Johnson's career. She said that she was tired of these recurring incidents and had no "malicious intent" when she posted the videos.
On February 26, Johnson issued a public apology to his now ex-girlfriend admitting that he had a "big relapse" and "screwed up" but denies any domestic violence charges that he has been charged with.
Before his arrest, Johnson sat down with TooFab and told the website his side of the story in a video. He mentioned his promise to abstain from alcohol, as he is aware of his lack of control when drunk, and spoke about his relapse. He went on to say that he understood why Mishler took action but denied ever laying a hand on her.
In conclusion to his video, he said, "I can totally understand why Annalise felt threatened when I took her phone but I am 100 percent confident any domestic abuse charges are going to be dropped. There was never any type of domestic abuse at all whatsoever. I have never laid my hands on a woman. I am sorry for the entire situation. I am sorry for anyone who had to see it, who has been triggered by this. I am so sorry to Annalise who has been threatened."
He went on to add, "I am working on myself to get better. That is all I can do is put my best foot forward and try to be a better person, every day from here on out and make less mistakes in life. I hope that everyone out there cannot be so quick to take judgment."
Johnson and Mishler began dating in mid-2019 and made their first official appearance as a couple at Operation Smile's Hollywood Fight Night in November 2019.
Johnson is due to appear in court on March 17.