Alec Baldwin sues ‘Rust’ crew members for giving him 'loaded gun' that caused fatal shooting of Halyna Hutchins

Assistant director Dave Halls reportedly handed the loaded gun to Alec Baldwin after announcing it was safe, claims source
PUBLISHED NOV 12, 2022
Alec Baldwin accidentally shot and killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins (Mark Sagliocco/Sonia Recchia/Getty Images)
Alec Baldwin accidentally shot and killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins (Mark Sagliocco/Sonia Recchia/Getty Images)

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Alec Baldwin filed a lawsuit on Friday, November 11, against several crew members over the deadly shooting on the set of the Western movie 'Rust', where cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was killed by a loaded gun that Baldwin was using. The American actor accused 'Rust’s' armorer and first assistant director, among others, of negligence in a cross-complaint following a lawsuit filed against him last year by script supervisor Mamie Mitchell. 

Baldwin is currently awaiting a decision on whether he’ll face criminal charges in the shooting. He was blamed by Mitchell for “recklessly” firing the gun that claimed the life of the 42-year-old as she was standing next to her, causing her emotional distress. Baldwin's cross-complaint names armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, who was in charge of handling guns and ammunition on set in New Mexico, assistant director Dave Halls, prop master Sarah Zachry and prop supplier Seth Kenney. 

READ MORE

Who is Gallagher's brother Ron? Late watermelon-smasher once sued sibling for stealing Sledge-O-Matic act

Mutulu Shakur: 2Pac's ailing stepdad to walk out on parole to spend last days with family after serving 35 yrs

Halls reportedly handed the loaded gun to Baldwin after he announced it was safe, reports The New York Times. The crew members did not maintain safety on set, according to Baldwin’s attorney, Luke Nikas. “This tragedy happened because live bullets were delivered to the set and loaded into the gun,” the lawsuit alleges, according to The Times. “More than anyone else on that set, Baldwin has been wrongfully viewed as the perpetrator of this tragedy,” Nikas writes of his client, Deadline reports. “By these Cross-Claims, Baldwin seeks to clear his name and hold Cross-Defendants accountable for their misconduct.” Baldwin lost his bid to toss Mitchell’s lawsuit last week which is one of many filed against the actor following the shooting. 

Halyna Hutchins attends the SAGindie Sundance Filmmakers Reception at Cafe Terigo on January 28, 2019 in Park City, Utah.
PARK CITY, UT - JANUARY 28: Halyna Hutchins attends the SAGindie Sundance Filmmakers Reception at Cafe Terigo on January 28, 2019, in Park City, Utah (Fred Hayes/Getty Images for SAGindie)

This happens after a Los Angeles County Superior Court said that Mitchell can press on with her claims of assault, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and negligence against the actor. She also named Gutierrez-Reed and Hall in her complaint. 

Hamptons International Film Festival Chairman, Alec Baldwin attends the World Premiere of National Geographic Documentary Films' 'The First Wave' at Hamptons International Film Festival on October 07, 2021 in East Hampton, New York.
EAST HAMPTON, NEW YORK - OCTOBER 07: Hamptons International Film Festival Chairman, Alec Baldwin attends the World Premiere of National Geographic Documentary Films' 'The First Wave' at Hamptons International Film Festival on October 07, 2021 in East Hampton, New York. (Photo by Mark Sagliocco/Getty Images for National Geographic)

Hutchins was killed when a revolver Baldwin was rehearsing with during filming on a ranch outside of Sante Fe in New Mexico fired a live round that hit her and movie director Joel Souza, who survived. The incident took place more than a year ago on October 21, 2021. However, Baldwin repeatedly denied any responsibility for the shooting. The actor said he did not pull the trigger of the Colt 45 revolver and it fired after he cocked it. 



 

An FBI forensic test of the revolver found the firearm could not have fired unless the trigger was pulled. The Santa Fe Sheriff’s Office completed its investigation into the fatal shooting last month. Criminal charges will be soon pressed against those involved, including Baldwin, pending a decision from District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies.

The firearm that was used by Alec Baldwin during the fatal scene (Santa Fe County Sheriff Department)
The firearm that was used by Alec Baldwin during the fatal scene (Santa Fe County Sheriff's Department)

After a settlement was reached with Hutchins’ estate last month, the production announced that filming would continue. Matthew Hutchins, her widower, will be an executive producer.

MORE STORIES

John Oliver was bleeped out twice during his brief, 15-second Emmys acceptance speech on live television after he roasted host Nate Bargatze
Sep 15, 2025
Kevin Hart doesn't appreciate paparazzi’s question after viral video of him hosting Diddy’s party resurfaces
Apr 6, 2025
Diddy’s childhood friend Tim Patterson claims Janice Combs’s wild parties often involved pimps, homosexuals, and other adult activities
Apr 6, 2025
Lisa Marie Presley and Michael Jackson tied the knot in 1994, but she initially thought the King of Pop was a creep—and we totally get why
Apr 6, 2025
Riley Keough opens up about the Presley family curse in a candid interview while on tour for her book, 'From Here to the Great Unknown'
Apr 5, 2025
Natalie Morales hits back after her interview with Seth Meyers is removed from all platforms due to a revealing outfit
Apr 5, 2025
"Babyface, can you believe she wants me to dress like a girl?" Michael Jackson told a producer.
Apr 2, 2025
Sofia Vergara also dished out on why she doesn't ever want to play Modern Family's Gloria again
Apr 2, 2025
"It took more and more to get high, and I honestly don't know when your body decides it can't deal with it anymore," Lisa Marie Presley wrote.
Apr 1, 2025
A family member's last-minute intervention saved Michael Jackson from the 9/11 tragedy—here’s what happened
Apr 1, 2025