The suffering of little Ollie Knowles: Toddler paralyzed after doctors missed cancer FIFTEEN TIMES
LEIGH, LANCASHIRE: A mom was devastated to learn about her toddler's paralysis after his cancer was reportedly missed 15 times by the doctors. She kept visiting the doctors for three months, but they constantly neglected the boy's pain.
Sarah had to take two-year-old Ollie Knowles to the doctors with alarming regularity but each time his screaming was labeled as constipation or colic. The 34-year-old mother only discovered her child's cancer after it had already reached his spine.
As the cancer spread to his spine, it caused paralysis from the waist down, which, according to The Mirror, could have been avoided if it was caught earlier. Sarah and her husband, Phillip, 34 have said that the Covid crisis was blamed as it meant that people could not undergo surgery.
Initially, Ollie had a swollen stomach in July 2021 but his parents only got a phone consultation. While speaking to The Sun, Sarah said, "They said that it was because of Covid, that a lot of the appointments were over the phone as we weren’t allowed to go to the surgery. We have received counseling to deal with our anger about it, and we are just trying to look to the future."
She added, "But if he had been seen earlier, then it would have been caught before it had spread to his spine and paralyzed him."
Seeing her child's agony, Sarah always knew there was more than constipation that the doctors were overlooking. Sarah now knows it was because the “tumor was pressing on his stomach.”
Over the next three months, Ollie had 15 doctor consultations, but the cancer never came to light. One morning, as the toddler tried to stand up, he fell to the ground as he had “lost feeling and sensation in his legs”.
The child has a cancer called neuroblastoma, with a tumor the size of an apple in his stomach. Little Ollie had to start chemotherapy treatment straight away at Manchester Children’s Hospital.
In a similar case of medical negligence, Nerissa Regnier, a mother of three, died from Covid after a hospital allegedly denied her Covid vaccine due to her ongoing treatment for multiple sclerosis. Regnier’s attorney Della Donna announced their plan to file a wrongful death lawsuit against Kaiser Permanente, an integrated managed care consortium based in California where she was being treated.
The California mom had reportedly asked the doctors the reason for denying her the vaccine and she was told she couldn’t get it since it is a “live” dose and that it would be risky for her condition. "Everyone should know that COVID-19 vaccines are not live vaccines," said Donna.
On December 16, Nerissa died after reportedly asking for the vaccine seven times in a period of 6 months. "She should have been able to receive it when she first asked,” said Della Donna.
"We also spoke to the manufacturer of the medication she was on, and they stated there was absolutely no issue with getting the vaccine while taking their drug," she added.