Queen sends bullet-proof car for Meghan and Harry as they arrive in private jet for Jubilee celebrations
Queen Elizabeth reportedly sent her Range Rover to pick up Prince Harry and Meghan Markle as they arrived by private jet to attend the Jubilee Celebrations. As per The Sun, the couple was greeted by three of the Queen's protection officers.
Reports state that bullet-proof cars took Meghan, Harry, and their children 3-year-old Archie and almost 1-year-old Lilibet, from Farnborough Airport to Frogmore Cottage, Windsor. "The Queen believed it was the right thing to do," states an insider. The 96-year-old Queen will appear on the Buckingham Palace balcony for the RAF flypast on Thursday, June 2.
In a short message, the Queen has thanked people across the UK and Commonwealth who are celebrating her #PlatinumJubilee and says she hopes “happy memories” are made by all over the next four days. pic.twitter.com/r1Ql4JSakE— Omid Scobie (@scobie) June 1, 2022
The Palace released a new photo of her taken at Windsor Castle with the message, "Thank you to everyone who has been involved in convening communities, families, neighbours and friends to mark my Platinum Jubilee, in the United Kingdom and across the Commonwealth. I know that many happy memories will be created at these festive occasions. I continue to be inspired by the goodwill shown to me, and hope that the coming days will provide an opportunity to reflect on all that has been achieved during the last seventy years, as we look to the future with confidence and enthusiasm."
Harry and Meghan are reported to have landed in England at noon after a ten-hour flight from Santa Barbara, California. The Sussexes will join the other royal family members at the Major General's Office to watch Trooping the Colour. The disgraced Prince Andrew will not be in attendance. After her balcony appearance, the Queen is expected to have a private lunch at Buckingham Palace with her family.
(As you have probably noticed, the operational note released by Buckingham Palace only names the senior working family members. Others at the Major General’s Office tomorrow, including the Sussexes, have been confirmed separately).— Omid Scobie (@scobie) June 1, 2022
Trooping the Colour will be Harry and Meghan's first joint royal engagement in two years. The Duke and Duchess signed a £112 million deal with Netflix, but the camera crew that follows them around for their docuseries has not traveled for the occasion. A royal source previously told Page Six, "I highly doubt they would even think about that. It would be such a bad look. Even if they could sneak a camera in, they wouldn't be able to use any of the footage. I guess they could do a home video on their phones, but I honestly don’t think they would."
This will be the first time the Queen will have the opportunity to meet her great-granddaughter Lilibet after only having seen the baby girl over Zoom calls. Another royal insider told the portal, "They won't be introducing Lili to the queen in public, that's for sure." On the other hand, a source who knows the Sussexes added, "Believe me, they'd be fine having NO public moments during the Jubilee."
NEW details on Thursday’s #TroopingTheColour— Chris Ship (@chrisshipitv) June 1, 2022
🐴 The Queen to stay at Buckingham Palace
🐴 Harry & Meghan to join royal family in Horse Guards Parade
🐴 Prince Andrew will not show his face
🐴 Queen to make TWO balcony appearances (one to take the salute, one for fly past)#HM70 pic.twitter.com/31DHaNUblx
A spokesperson for Buckingham Palace had announced that "after careful consideration" the Queen had decided the balcony appearance would be limited to herself and "those members of the Royal Family who are currently undertaking official public duties." Now the last-minute announcement states that Harry and Meghan will watch the salute to the Queen from a prime vantage point with members of the monarchy from the Duke of Wellington's former office, overlooking Horse Guards Parade, reports the Independent.