Prince Harry plans to take a 'two-week paternity leave' to attend to baby duties after Meghan Markle gives birth
As soon as the baby is born, the Duke of Sussex is expected to take time away to fully support his wife.
Prince Harry will reportedly be taking a two-week long paternity leave when his baby with Meghan Markle, the Duchess of Sussex, is born. The royal dad is going to take a leave from his official royal engagements to take care of the newborn because "it's a very modern Dad thing to do".
As per the Daily Mail, Meghan can give birth to her baby as soon as next week if she has her baby prematurely and medical officials in charge of the Duchess are watching the 37-year-old closely. And as soon as the baby is born, the Duke of Sussex is expected to take time away to fully support his wife.
A friend of the Prince told the Express: "He doesn't need to take paternity leave because he doesn't work in the way most people do, but he thinks it's a very modern Dad thing to do." It should be noted that Harry's last paid job was as a captain in the army for ten years with his commission ending in 2015.
As of now, the Duke of Sussex's duties are co-funded by the Queen and his father, the Prince of Wales. A Buckingham Palace spokesman said to the media outlet: "I'm sure Her Majesty will accommodate a break from duties."
As per reports, until the birth of the upcoming royal baby, doctors are going to be keeping a strict eye on Meghan, and medics will be conducting regular tests for the Duchess of Sussex to monitor any high-blood pressure and protein in urine and check for any other conditions.
News of Harry's impending paternity leave comes after it was reported last week that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have officially split their royal household. The Kensington Palace officially announced the separation on Thursday.
The couples have broken up their joint “court” at Kensington Palace by creating two separate offices. Moreover, Queen Elizabeth, too, has agreed to the creation of a new household for Meghan and Harry. The final formalities, which will be established by spring, has Prince Charles also on board.
“This long-planned move will ensure that permanent support arrangements for The Duke and Duchess’ work are in place as they start their family and move to their official residence at Frogmore Cottage,” a statement from the palace read. Meghan and Harry's offices will also be moved out of Kensington Palace and into Buckingham Palace, where the 92-year-old monarch resides.