Prince Harry and Meghan Markle accused of ‘leaking stories to stay relevant’ to get multimillion-dollar deals
According to Royal Editor Russell Myers, the Sussexes have no choice but to stay relevant if they must sign multimillion-dollar deals. He noted it was 'strange' how the couple was still being talked about despite stepping away from duties for privacy
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are being accused of "leaking" stories to the press in order to "stay relevant," and that has allegedly put a hold on any talks between the Sussexes and the British royal family.
According to Russell Myers, Royal Editor for the Daily Mirror, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have no choice but to stay relevant if they must sign multimillion-dollar deals. He noted that it was "strange" how the couple was still being talked about despite stepping away from duties for more private lives.
"For a couple that left for privacy, there is an extraordinary amount of stories surrounding their lives that do get leaked out," Myers said during a conversation with talkRADIO. "These find their way into the British press. We understand that they've got a few friendly journalists that they deal with. They've cut out some of the press that they said they weren't happy with their coverage."
"It's a very Hollywood way of doing things and that has been an issue for both Harry and Meghan," Myers noted. "Getting the friendly press to just write about how amazing you are all the time doesn't really work. It's a strange one because while they say they moved away for privacy, didn't want to have anything to do with the British press," he said. "People are still talking about and my guess is they still want to be talked about because whilst signing big-money deals, they've got to stay relevant."
Prince William had reportedly reached out to Harry following his tell-all interview with Oprah, but talks were "not productive," per CBS anchor Gayle King. During the bombshell interview, the Duke of Sussex claimed his brother and father were "trapped" inside the monarchy.
William, however, is allegedly willing to grant his brother one last chance. "William thinks Harry chose fame over family," Us Weekly's Christina Garibaldi said. "William feels that Harry has gotten too big for his boots since moving to California — that success and Hollywood have gone to his head," the insider told Us Weekly. "He's already accused him of putting fame over family after the big interview but is willing to give Harry one last chance to prove his loyalty to his family."
The Sunday Times magazine had previously reported how upset William was when the Sussexes announced their own plans for the future before having a royal family meeting to negotiate terms of their exit.
The couple conceded shortly after that they could not use the word "royal" for personal projects, especially after a decree from the Queen to that effect. However, they stressed that the monarchy had "no jurisdiction" overseas.
On Sunday, April 25, MEAWW reported things were allegedly "much calmer" within the royal family in the absence of Meghan and Harry. Reportedly claiming that the Sussexes made things difficult for themselves, a source told the Mirror: "One of the main issues with Harry and Meghan, when they were part of the working family, was their inability to understand how things worked. It’s been a lot simpler without them kicking off over why they couldn’t just do what they wanted." The insider added, “Things are a lot calmer."