WORKING ROYALS ONLY! Prince Harry and Meghan Markle not invited to Queen’s pre-funeral state reception
UNITED KINGDOM: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are not believed to have received an invitation to Queen Elizabeth II's pre-funeral reception at Buckingham Palace, according to Telegraph.
The pair was invited to the prestigious gathering of international leaders and foreign royals, which was hosted by King Charles and Queen Consort Camilla. However, it appears that they have now been notified that only active British royals are permitted at the pre-funeral reception. As reported by Telegraph, it is still unknown if Harry, 38, and Meghan, 41, were ever invited, despite the fact that royal officials said they are not anticipated to go. The couple "appeared baffled," as per the sources who spoke to the publication, at the apparent mix-up. The pre-funeral reception might not curtail Prince Harry and his wife but will host some of the most notable names and dignitaries on the planet. Numerous heads of state will arrive in London before the monarch's royal burial on Monday, September 19 including President Joe Biden and French President Emmanuel Macron. Along with Prince William, Kate Middleton, and the rest of the royal family, Meghan and Harry have been in the UK for some time, paying their respects to the late queen. Also during their trips in public, the couple has reestablished contact with the British populace.
Meghan and Harry, who are no longer employed by the royal family drew attention when they were seen holding hands during the monarch's procession on Wednesday, September 13. A "breach" of the protocol was also committed by their expression of affection. “Harry and Meghan are grieving relatives and are under no obligation to follow royal protocol,” body language expert Inbaal Honigman told The Daily Express in defense of the couple’s behavior and gestures. Due to continuous concerns including media scrutiny and internal strife within the family, the parents of two—who share son Archie, 3, and daughter Lilibet, 15 months—rendered their royal responsibilities as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex inactive in January 2020. This has subsequently resulted in them losing out on royal privileges, pardons, and protocols. Since then, they have moved from England to Markle's home state of California.
Uncertainty surrounding Harry and Meghan's presence at the pre-funeral reception comes in response to conflicting information regarding the prince's legal ability to don a military uniform during his return to his native country. Eventually, Harry's 73-year-old father Charles gave him permission to dress in such a way for an Elizabeth vigil on Saturday, September 17.