Nicky Minaj cancels Shanghai concert after reports of music festival being a 'scam'

The festival, however, accused Minaj of not arriving at the venue on time and said that even after reaching late, the 'Anaconda' hitmaker simply refused to go on stage


                            Nicky Minaj cancels Shanghai concert after reports of music festival being a 'scam'

Nicky Minaj flew all the way to Shanghai last week, but it was all for nothing, according to a report. The 'Chun Li' singer went all the way to China to headline a music festival that was supposed to take place but had to cancel her plans after finding out that it was all just a giant scam.

Although the songstress is yet to make her side of the story clear, a lot of social media updates from fans have surfaced which show Minaj telling fans that she plans on returning. "I'll be back, you guys, for my real fans in Shanghai, in China, I love you so much," Minaj said in a video posted on Twitter. "I'll be back with a better partner."



 

According to reports, the singer had been promised a whopping sum of $3 million to perform at a festival called the Djakarta Warehouse Project (DWP). However, right before she arrived in the city,  the DWP website released a statement claiming it had no association with the concert whatsoever.

"The event, rumored to take place in Shanghai on 17th & 18th of November 2018, is an unauthorized use of DWP trademark," began the statement. "DWP as a brand has no association with the event. The alleged lineup artwork of DWP China, which has been circulating online is unauthorized," concluded the statement.



 

Minaj, who was promised a minimum of 8,000 fans in attendance, only managed to woo a crowd of about 1,000 fans who showed up at the National Exhibition and Convention Center in Shanghai’s western Qingpu district. It is being speculated that Minaj might have been too late in finding out about the music festival's scam, but she is nevertheless facing a lot of backlash for bailing out of performing at the event.

Minaj had been slated to perform a 90-minute set as the two-day festival's headliner, and the festival responded to DWP's statement by producing a 'power of attorney' document to prove they did have the right to use DWP's trademark. The festival further accused Minaj of not arriving at the venue on time and said that even after reaching late, the 'Anaconda' hitmaker simply refused to go on stage.

Nicki Minaj at Harper's BAZAAR celebrations of 'ICONS By Carine Roitfeld' at the Plaza Hotel on September 7, 2018, in New York City. (Getty Images)
Nicki Minaj at Harper's BAZAAR celebrations of 'ICONS By Carine Roitfeld' at the Plaza Hotel on September 7, 2018, in New York City. (Getty Images)

"We strongly condemn this behavior and would like to sincerely apologize to our audience," read DWP Shanghai's statement, adding they will refund the fans who paid to see Minaj. The DWP festival has been traditionally held in Bali for the last 10 years, and it is known to attract lots of A-list talent as part of their exuberant lineup every year.

A lot of people, since the news of the festival being a scam, broke out, have compared the music festival's fiasco to the ill-planned Fyre Fest, since tickets to Minaj's concert were going for upwards of $420 at the time. 

Nicki Minaj performs onstage at the 2018 BET Awards at Microsoft Theater on June 24, 2018, in Los Angeles, California. (Getty Images)
Nicki Minaj performs onstage at the 2018 BET Awards at Microsoft Theater on June 24, 2018, in Los Angeles, California. (Getty Images)