The search for Quinton Simon: Missing toddler's case becomes criminal investigation as cops seize evidence
Update: The Chatham County Police Department has made a sad update in the Quinton Simon missing case as the search for the toddler entered almost a week.
"We are saddened to report that CCPD and the FBI have notified Quinton Simon’s family that we believe he is deceased," the Chatham County Police Department said. "We have named his mother, Leilani Simon, as the prime suspect in his disappearance and death.“We know that thousands of people around the world will be heartbroken by this news, and we share your sorrow."
SAVANNAH, GEORGIA: The search for the 20-month-old Georgia boy who has been reported missing since last week, October 5, from his playpen has officially turned into a criminal investigation. The disappearance of Quinton Simon's case has now emerged with evidence that authorities believe will help move the case forward after a week-long of scavenging.
Chatham County Police Chief Jeff Hadley confirmed Monday, October 11 that authorities are investigating whether there was any criminality in the disappearance of Simon. According to officials, more than 40 FBI agents and employees in Georgia are helping with the hunt for the toddler Quinton Simon, after his mother Leilani Simon, told authorities that she believed he was snatched from their Savannah home. Chatham County Police took to Twitter to announce they have seized evidence and are currently working on it to analyze where it leads, although no details about the evidence have been revealed.
We've seized evidence that we believe will help move this case forward & we're now working to analyze the evidence to see where it leads us. We continue to pursue all avenues to bring Quinton home, following all leads and evidence. There will be no further public statements today pic.twitter.com/7JaqlGCxqW— Chatham County Police Department (@ChathamCountyPD) October 11, 2022
Authorities wrote, "We've seized evidence that we believe will help move this case forward & we're now working to analyze the evidence to see where it leads us. We continue to pursue all avenues to bring Quinton home, following all leads and evidence. There will be no further public statements today." Initially, police did not suspect any foul play in the disappearance of the toddler and were treating it as a missing child case but now they are looking at the case from multiple fronts, said Chief Hadley.
“We’re looking at it from multiple fronts, one of it being a criminal investigation as well as a missing child at this point,” Chief Hadley said on Monday.
According to police, there are no known suspects or persons of interest, also there is no evidence to suggest the youngster didn't go on his own. Quinton was last seen at a residence in the 500 block of Buckhalter Road. The hunt for the child included volunteers and neighbors, in addition to mounted police, K-9 teams, drones, and helicopters. Helicopters were dispatched during nightfall with thermal imaging devices, which can detect body heat.
Authorities reported the missing toddler was last seen wearing a light blue Sesame Street shirt and black pants.
If you have a tip that may lead to Quinton, call 912-667-3134. If a detective does not pick up, investigators urge you to leave a message.