Carbon monoxide leak at Pennsylvania daycare center as 28 children, 4 staffers rushed to hospital

Carbon monoxide leak at Pennsylvania daycare center as 28 children, 4 staffers rushed to hospital
Happy Smiles Learning Center, Allentown reported carbon monoxide leakage on Tuesday, October 11 with multiple students and staffers being rushed to hospitals (Happy Smiles learning Center/Google Maps)

ALLENTOWN, PENNSYLVANIA: In a scary incident, 28 children and four members of staff at a daycare center in Allentown, Pennsylvania were rushed to a nearby hospital after carbon monoxide leakage. On Tuesday, October 11, the incident was reported at "Happy Smiles Learning Center in the 400 block of Wabash Street where emergency crews responded to a 911 call for an unconscious child," as per 6ABC. It was found that a faulty heating unit and blocked venting system had led to the leak and release of the deadly gas.

Allentown Fire Department Captain John Christopher confirmed in an official statement that everyone is in a stable condition but were being looked over by medics. The authorities also confirmed that the daycare didn’t have a carbon monoxide detector installed as per the rules. It was last month when Legislation made it mandatory for all childcare centers in Pennsylvania to have the detectors, however, the organizations were given only 30 days to make the changes.

ADVERTISEMENT

READ MORE

The disappearance of Quinton Simon: Over 40 FBI agents join search for missing Georgia toddler

'Nightmare on 15th Street': Oakland residents fume as sex workers descend upon quiet neighborhood

ADVERTISEMENT

“The fire chief said it turned into a massive emergency response due to multiple people showing symptoms, and every ambulance in Allentown was in use for this incident,” according to the news outlet. The agency reported that as per authorities “a total of 28 kids and four adults, were taken to four hospitals in the Lehigh Valley. They are all listed in stable condition.”

“The incident was reported as a level one mass casualty incident, meaning local emergency responders and hospitals may be overwhelmed by the number of patients,” as per 6ABC. The fire chief John Christopher added that the other fire departments and emergency responders have reached and are "assisting with aid." UGI crews arrived at the scene to investigate the leak. They told Daily Mail, that they had multiple officers on scene and the cause of the leak was a "malfunctioning heating unit as well as a blocked venting system."

ADVERTISEMENT

Officials said that parents have been notified, and that authorities are working with the daycare center employees to keep everyone updated, as per the report.

As per the footage released, children were wrapped up in blankets and taken away from the property on stretchers, and to four different hospitals across Lehigh Valley, amid fear of a mass casualty incident. Several emergency services, which include firetrucks and ambulances were already at the scene. Further, a daycare around the corner opened its facility "to keep children safe and warm."

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this article: Carbon monoxide leak at Pennsylvania daycare center as 28 children, 4 staffers rushed to hospital