Michael Jackson's fan groups in France are suing two of the singer's alleged abuse victims for "sullying his image" in HBO's recent documentary, 'Leaving Neverland'.
When Jackson's superfan Myriam Walter first saw the HBO documentary, where the two main witnesses offer a graphic description of being sexually abused by the singer, she said she wanted to vomit and cried.
The 62-year-old former French nurse, referring to the popstar's alleged pedophilia, said, "I know that it is not possible. It was rotten. It was to make a buzz. It was to make money," she said according to CNN.
Walter is one among the three fan groups in France suing the two alleged victims, Wade Robson and James Safechuck who claimed to have been abused by Jackson, in a French court. The groups hope to challenge these claims that have been smeared on their idol who passed away in 2009.
Robson and Safechuck, who are now aged 41 and 37 respectively, alleged in the documentary that they went through years of sexual abuse from the popstar when there were just minors in the late '80s and early '90s.
While both Robson and Safechuck do not reside in France, they are being sued in France because the country's laws state that it is illegal to make criminal accusations against the deceased. The duo's US-based lawyers who represent them said that both Robson and Safechuck have no comments to make on that case.
Court officials in the northern city of Orleans where the case was heard earlier this month, confirmed that Robson and Safechuck were not in the hearing and did not have any legal representation either.
According to CNN, the case claims that Robson and Safechuck are currently being sued for a sum of one euro ($1.13) each, for "damaging the memory of the dead." Emmanuel Ludot, the lawyer representing the fans said, "It is not about money, it is an affair of the heart."
Walter, who is a president for one of the groups — MJ Community which has around 600 members, attended the first court hearing. Talking about the award-winning singer she said, "He had a great heart. It is not right to make these claims against someone who isn't even alive to defend themselves."
The other two groups, On The Line and MJ Street, have accused the documentary of revisionism. They also pointed out errors in the timeline of abuse that was provided by Safechuck.
Brice Najar, who is the president of On The Line and author of multiple books on the singer, said, "I wouldn't defend someone whatever the evidence, but he has already been acquitted and there have already been inquiries. I am in my 40s. I have kids."
The court said that a decision would be delivered on October 4, 2019.