Meghan Markle has gone into labor, Buckingham Palace announces
It looks like the royal baby — Queen Elizabeth II's eighth great-grandchild and seventh in line to the British throne — is finally on the way
Meghan Markle, Prince Harry's wife, is in labor with their first child, Buckingham Palace has announced. Prince Harry's press office has also announced that Harry was by her side.
The palace says the 37-year-old Duchess of Sussex started labor early Monday.
According to a statement, Meghan Markle went into "labor in the early hours of this morning" with the Duke of Sussex Prince Harry by her side. No further announcements have been made.
The Duchess and Prince Harry, who tied the knot in May last year, had earlier announced that they would not be following in the footsteps of Prince William and Kate, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, in terms of announcing the birth of their newborn right after giving birth.
Meghan and Harry didn't disclose the location they chose for the birth.
Throughout Meghan's pregnancy, they never revealed the baby's due date. Although Meghan accidentally let her due date slip to well-wishers in Birkenhead, where she admitted that she was six months pregnant, in the middle of January. This narrowed down the royal's possible due date to be somewhere around the second half of April.
They have said they didn't find out the sex in advance.
The couple has moved into nearby Frogmore Cottage, a royal residence on the grounds where they held their wedding reception.
Journalists and well-wishers have been camped out for days in Windsor, about 35 kilometers (22 miles) west of London.
The baby will be seventh in line to the British throne and Queen Elizabeth II's eighth great-grandchild. The child will be eligible for dual British-U.S. citizenship if Meghan wants to go through the application process.
—With AP inputs