Julie Chen absent on The Talk premiere, says 'she will be back soon'

Julie Chen's absense came after her husband, CBS Chairman and CEO Les Moonves had to leave the network following sexual assault allegations by multiple women


                            Julie Chen absent on The Talk premiere, says 'she will be back soon'

Monday was a big day for 'The Talk', the CBS show that discusses current events, pop culture, contemporary issues, in addition to interviews with celebrities and newsmakers. It was the premiere of its ninth season, after a successful run since 2010. While everyone else present on set looked happy, host Julie Chen was missing. 

Chen's absence could be because of a recent incident with her husband CBS Chairman and CEO Les Moonves. CBS announced on Sunday that Moonves was no longer a part of CBS after multiple allegations of sexual misconduct. The couple tied the knot in 2004 and also have an eight-year-old son together named Charlie.

In a statement, Chen told People that she was taking a couple of days off to be close to her family. "I am taking a few days off from The Talk to be with my family. I will be back soon and will see you Thursday night on 'Big Brother,'" she said. 

She had earlier stood up for him on Twitter, saying, "I have known my husband, Leslie Moonves, since the late ‘90s, and I have been married to him for almost 14 years. Leslie is a good man and a loving father, devoted husband and inspiring corporate leader. He has always been a kind, decent and moral human being. I fully support my husband."

Julie Chen and Leslie Moonves attend the 'Rei Kawakubo/Comme des Garcons: Art Of The In-Between' Costume Institute Gala at Metropolitan Museum of Art on May 1, 2017, in New York City (Getty Images)
Julie Chen and Leslie Moonves attend the 'Rei Kawakubo/Comme des Garcons: Art Of The In-Between' Costume Institute Gala at Metropolitan Museum of Art on May 1, 2017, in New York City (Getty Images)

The 68-year-old Moonves was accused of sexual harassment in a report by Ronan Farrow in The New Yorker. The piece published on Friday said that six women, including names like actress Illeana Douglas and writer Janet Jones, have alleged that the former CBS chairman had assaulted them when they worked together in the 1980s.

Moonves however, said that the allegations were "untrue". "The appalling accusations in this article are untrue. What is true is that I had consensual relations with three of the women some 25 years ago before I came to CBS. And I have never used my position to hinder the advancement or careers of women.”

Moonves told The New Yorker, "In my 40 years of work, I have never before heard of such disturbing accusations. I can only surmise they are surfacing now for the first time, decades later, as part of a concerted effort by others to destroy my name, my reputation, and my career."

In his farewell to the network, he said, "For the past 24 years it has been an incredible privilege to lead CBS’s renaissance and transformation into a leading global media company. The best part of this journey has been working alongside the dedicated and talented people in this company. Together, we built CBS into a destination where the best in the business come to work and succeed. Untrue allegations from decades ago are now being made against me that are not consistent with who I am.  Effective immediately I will no longer be Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of CBS. I am deeply saddened to be leaving the company. I wish nothing but the best for the organization, the newly comprised board of directors and all of its employees."