Johnny Depp opts out of partying after ‘Jeanne du Barry’ premiere at Cannes to focus on 'health and rest'

Johnny Depp has undergone 'an evolution in terms of prioritizing his health and rest' while also really picking things up with his work
PUBLISHED MAY 22, 2023
Johnny Depp snubs late-night partying during Cannes Film Festival (John Phillips/Getty Images)
Johnny Depp snubs late-night partying during Cannes Film Festival (John Phillips/Getty Images)

CANNES, FRANCE: Johnny Depp is apparently focusing on his “health and rest” instead of partying in a bid to protect his reputation after his triumphant on-screen comeback. The 59-year-old Hollywood actor reportedly opted to spend a peaceful evening at his hotel rather than the opening night dinner after the world premiere of his new film ‘Jeanne du Barry’ during the Cannes Film Festival in France on Tuesday, May 16.

A source told TMZ that after the premiere, the ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ star decided to go back to his hotel early to ensure “he got enough rest and to prepare for another day of media interview.” The tipster further stated that Depp has undergone “an evolution in terms of prioritizing his health and rest” while also really picking things up with his work. The outlet also reported that after Cannes, Depp took a flight to London to perform Jeff Beck's memorial concert alongside Eric Clapton and a number of other legendary guitarists. He will then embark on a tour with his band, Hollywood Vampires.

READ MORE

'Is he gonna blame Amber again?' Johnny Depp shredded for arriving late at Cannes presser for latest film

'Grindelwald and Grindelwald': Johnny Depp and Mads Mikkelsen exchange warm greetings at Cannes

Johnny Depp attends the
Johnny Depp attends the "Jeanne du Barry" photocall at the 76th annual Cannes film festival at Palais des Festivals on May 17, 2023 in Cannes, France. (Photo by Mike Coppola/Getty Images)

'He decided to lay low'

These claims came after the Mirror published a picture that revealed that Depp's table arrangement at the post-premiere supper was untouched, with his place card and menu sitting on his plate. “Everyone was expecting Johnny at the dinner,” an insider told the publication, adding “It’s very rare for the star of the film to not show, but he decided to lay low. All eyes are on him and he was worried about anything that could damage his comeback after an overwhelmingly positive reception at the Palais des Festival's opening ceremony. He was also nervous about any tension with guests inside.”

(L-R) Pauline Pollmann, Diego Le Fur, Director Maïwenn, Johnny Depp, Pierre Richard, Benjamin Lavernhe, Pascal Greggory and Melvil Poupaud attend the
(L-R) Pauline Pollmann, Diego Le Fur, Director Maïwenn, Johnny Depp, Pierre Richard, Benjamin Lavernhe, Pascal Greggory and Melvil Poupaud attend the "Jeanne du Barry" Screening & opening ceremony red carpet at the 76th annual Cannes film festival at Palais des Festivals on May 16, 2023 in Cannes, France. (Photo by Mike Coppola/Getty Images)

'We were stuck in a loop'

Earlier this week, the ‘Fantastic Beasts' star was reduced to tears after he received a seven-minute long standing ovation for his astounding performance in ‘Jeanne du Barry’, which marked his comeback to acting after a three-year absence due to his extensive legal fights with ex-wife Amber Heard. Depp also thanked the audience for their heart-warming response, saying ‘For a couple of seconds, it scared me because we were stuck in a loop. We were standing and the applause and reaction from the audience... the energy from their reaction seemed to go on and on. We are all sort of mommies and daddies of the film,’ according to Hindustan Times.



 

Before the standing ovation, Thierry Fremaux, head of the Cannes Film Festival, addressed an outcry regarding Depp’s comeback movie opening the event amid his previous controversies. "I do not know what Johnny Depp represents in the United States to tell you the truth. We are watching a film. You know, I have only one conduct in life. It is freedom of thought, freedom of speech, and freedom to act under the law. And so, if Johnny Depp had been barred from acting in a movie, and if that movie also had been banned, we wouldn't be talking about it," he said according to Daily Mail.

RELATED TOPICS JOHNNY DEPP

MORE STORIES

John Oliver was bleeped out twice during his brief, 15-second Emmys acceptance speech on live television after he roasted host Nate Bargatze
Sep 15, 2025
Kevin Hart doesn't appreciate paparazzi’s question after viral video of him hosting Diddy’s party resurfaces
Apr 6, 2025
Diddy’s childhood friend Tim Patterson claims Janice Combs’s wild parties often involved pimps, homosexuals, and other adult activities
Apr 6, 2025
Lisa Marie Presley and Michael Jackson tied the knot in 1994, but she initially thought the King of Pop was a creep—and we totally get why
Apr 6, 2025
Riley Keough opens up about the Presley family curse in a candid interview while on tour for her book, 'From Here to the Great Unknown'
Apr 5, 2025
Natalie Morales hits back after her interview with Seth Meyers is removed from all platforms due to a revealing outfit
Apr 5, 2025
"Babyface, can you believe she wants me to dress like a girl?" Michael Jackson told a producer.
Apr 2, 2025
Sofia Vergara also dished out on why she doesn't ever want to play Modern Family's Gloria again
Apr 2, 2025
"It took more and more to get high, and I honestly don't know when your body decides it can't deal with it anymore," Lisa Marie Presley wrote.
Apr 1, 2025
A family member's last-minute intervention saved Michael Jackson from the 9/11 tragedy—here’s what happened
Apr 1, 2025