Ethan Crumbley: Suspect recorded videos about killing students night before attack
OXFORD, MICHIGAN: A 15-year-old boy shot four students dead and injured over seven people at a high school in Oxford, Michigan on Tuesday, November 30. Authorities have now found videos on the suspect's phone that show him talking about killing students, a sheriff’s official said. The disclosure was made before the arraignment of Ethan Crumbley, 15, against whom Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald has announced charges, 4 counts of first-degree murder, 7 counts of assault with intent to murder, 12 counts of possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony, and 1 count of terrorism causing death.
Lt Tim Willis of the Oakland County Sheriff’s office read from Crumbley’s indictment and said that the videos were recorded the night before the school shooting on November 30, roughly an hour north of Detroit. Authorities have also allegedly discovered a journal with entries that mentioned shooting and killing students. Crumbley, who is being tried as an adult, pleaded not guilty during the arraignment. The Oakland County prosecutor has said that there was a "mountain" of evidence showing that the attack was premeditated and not impulsive.
Oxford school shooting: Who was Tate Myre? Petition wants stadium named after hero
Oxford school shooting: Chilling videos show terrified students barricading themselves in class
Unconfirmed screenshots have also fueled rumors about the incident. A video has been doing the rounds on social media, allegedly showing the shooter throwing a Molotov cocktail in his backyard. Social media is claiming that despite the signs, school authorities did not take the required steps. The school has been slammed for not doing enough to protect the students despite prior warnings.
Another unconfirmed screenshot has revealed a post by the school authorities on November 12, where they seem to have claimed that there were rumors about something bad happening in the school and that they have taken adequate protection. It is not clear what the rumors were. "We are aware of the numerous rumors that have been circulating throughout our building this week. Student interpretations of social posts and false information have exacerbated the overall concern. We want our parents and students to know there has been no threat to our building nor our students," the post reads, in parts.
Internet sleuths have discovered that the suspect had posted creepy pictures on his Instagram account, where he began an alleged countdown before carrying out the shooting, terming it 'Return of The Devil'. The shooting survivors claimed that the suspect had specific targets whom he attacked first, but it is unclear how the suspect and the victims were connected.
Reportedly, the suspect was previously blacklisted for shocking offenses on school premises. He allegedly once threw the head of a dead deer into a locked courtyard while on the roof. He also painted threatening messages on the school walls. The principal, however, had reassured parents that the person was not a threat.
The shooting has now left a fourth victim dead. Oakland County Sheriff's Office confirmed that Justin Shilling, 17, has died of his injuries. Tate Myre, 16, Hana St. Juliana, 14, and Madisyn Baldwin, 17, were earlier killed in the attack.