Oxford school shooting: Was school 'warned' of shooter's earlier bizarre behavior?
A 15-year-old boy shot three students dead and injured at least eight at a high school in Oxford, Michigan on Tuesday, November 30
OXFORD, MICHIGAN: A 15-year-old boy shot three students dead and injured at least eight at a high school in Oxford, Michigan on Tuesday, November 30. The teen has now been taken into custody. Unconfirmed screenshots have now emerged, fueling rumors about the incident. A video has been doing the rounds on social media, allegedly showing the shooter throwing a Molotov cocktail in his backyard. Social media is claiming that despite the signs, school authorities did not take the required steps.
The school has been slammed for not doing enough to protect the students despite prior warnings. "Shooter uploaded this video throwing a Molotov cocktail in his backyard. (This is technically a felony, Molotov cocktails are classified by ATF as "Destructive Devices")," a Twitter user wrote, sharing the video.
#ethancrumbly #oxfordhighschool Shooter uploaded this video throwing a Molotov cocktail in his backyard.— 🧂𝕊𝕒𝕝𝕥𝕪🧂Florida Man🐊(ᴏʀɪɢɪɴᴀʟ ᴅᴜᴘʟɪᴄᴀᴛᴇ) (@SaltyFloridaMan) December 1, 2021
(This is technically a felony, Molotov cocktails are classified by ATF as "Destructive Devices") pic.twitter.com/6445WUHvbL
Another unconfirmed screenshot has revealed a post by the school authorities on November 12, where they seem to have claimed that there were rumors about something bad happening in the school, and that they have taken adequate protection. It is not clear what the rumors were. "We are aware of the numerous rumors that have been circulating throughout our building this week. Student interpretations of social posts and false information have exacerbated the overall concern. We want our parents and students to know there has been no threat to our building nor our students," the post reads, in parts. Posting a picture of the school notice, a user wrote, "There were poo-pooed warnings. This will come back to haunt them."
There were poo-pooed warnings. This will come back to haunt them. pic.twitter.com/XtVc5LQRgX— RudeeK (@RudeeK2) December 1, 2021
Internet sleuths have discovered that the suspect had posted creepy pictures on his Instagram account, where he began an alleged countdown before carrying out the shooting, terming it 'Return of The Devil'. The shooting survivors claimed that the suspect had specific targets whom he attacked first, but it is unclear how the suspect and the victims were connected.
Reportedly, the suspect was previously blacklisted for shocking offenses on school premises. He allegedly once threw the head of a dead deer into a locked courtyard while on the roof. He also painted threatening messages on the school walls. The principal, however, had reassured parents that the person was not a threat.
Fourteen-year-old Hanna St Julian has been identified as the third victim of the tragic shooting. Social media is mourning the death of Hanna and the other identified victims who died -- Tate Myre and Madisyn Baldwin -- in the tragic events that unfolded in the school.
Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard has said that investigators are still trying to determine a motive behind the shooting at the high school in Oxford Township. The suspect's father reportedly bought the 9mm Sig Sauer that the accused used in the shooting on November 30. The suspect, Bouchard said, practiced shooting with gun and even shared pictures of it along with the target. Besides the ones who died, Bouchard said a teacher whose shoulder was grazed by a bullet has been discharged from the hospital. However, as many as seven students ranging in age from 14 to 17 are still in the hospital with serious gunshot wounds. A 14-year-old girl is reportedly on a ventilator after undergoing surgery. Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald has stated that her office expects to issue charges very quickly.
Addressing the shocking shooting incident, Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer said, "My heart goes out to the families. This is an unimaginable tragedy. I hope we can all rise to the occasion and wrap our arms around the families, the affected children and school personnel, and this community." She added, "I think this is every parent's worst nightmare."