'It saddens me': Elton John quits Twitter over concern that ‘allows misinformation to flourish unchecked'

Elton John announced he was quitting Twitter on Friday, blaming it on a change in business policy that he claims will increase global division
PUBLISHED DEC 10, 2022
Singer Elton John, 75, quits Twitter as he claims 'misinformation is now being used to divide our world' (Gareth Cattermole/David Odisho/Getty Images)
Singer Elton John, 75, quits Twitter as he claims 'misinformation is now being used to divide our world' (Gareth Cattermole/David Odisho/Getty Images)

WINDSOR, UK: Elton John has said that he will no longer use Twitter as a result of a policy change that he claims "will allow misinformation to flourish unchecked." The 75-year-old musician's remarks came after Elon Musk bought the social media network for $44 billion. Musk previously claimed he was providing "general amnesty" for "suspended" accounts, which experts say will result in "superspreaders of hate" returning to the platform, as per The Guardian. 

John tweeted on Friday, December 9, “All my life I’ve tried to use music to bring people together. Yet it saddens me to see how misinformation is now being used to divide our world. I’ve decided to no longer use Twitter, given their recent change in policy which will allow misinformation to flourish unchecked.”

READ MORE

Elton John concert attack: New video shows man brutally beaten in parking lot after event, suspect arrested

'Your actions are criminal': Pre-Elon Musk Twitter slammed as secret blacklist is revealed



 

The EU's commissioner for digital policy, Thierry Breton, recently reminded Tesla CEO Elon Musk that he must strengthen user protection safeguards to prevent Twitter from breaking laws that may result in heavy fines or possibly a ban in the 27-nation bloc. Musk has been informed that he needs to work much harder to adhere to the new regulations, known as the Digital Services Act, which will go into force next year, as per reports from AoL. 

The Centre for Countering Digital Hate (CCDH) argued that Musk's recent tweet, which claimed that the number of tweets containing hate speech had decreased by a third, was reportedly false because it concentrated on how frequently tweets were seen rather than the number of such tweets that were actually being posted to the social media platform, as per The Guardian. Since Musk's takeover, a number of other celebrities have quit Twitter, including Whoopi Goldberg, Gigi Hadid, and Jim Carrey.

People were quick to turn to social media after Elton's statement, with one user commenting, "Ironically, Elon loses a rocket man." Another tweeted, "I presume, by misinformation, you mean opinions you don't share?" A third said, "Sure, no one was divided before Elon took over, before that it was all peaches and cream." A fourth chimed in, "The best way to combat that is by staying and denouncing it here. maybe together we can change Elon's mind." "This is is heartbreaking to me. Your music is essentially the soundtrack to my life. I was somehow sure you were on the side of freedom," said a fifth. A sixth tweeted, "Love your music. It’s called the truth, not misinformation. Bye bye."



 



 



 



 



 



 

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

MORE STORIES

John Oliver was bleeped out twice during his brief, 15-second Emmys acceptance speech on live television after he roasted host Nate Bargatze
Sep 15, 2025
Kevin Hart doesn't appreciate paparazzi’s question after viral video of him hosting Diddy’s party resurfaces
Apr 6, 2025
Diddy’s childhood friend Tim Patterson claims Janice Combs’s wild parties often involved pimps, homosexuals, and other adult activities
Apr 6, 2025
Lisa Marie Presley and Michael Jackson tied the knot in 1994, but she initially thought the King of Pop was a creep—and we totally get why
Apr 6, 2025
Riley Keough opens up about the Presley family curse in a candid interview while on tour for her book, 'From Here to the Great Unknown'
Apr 5, 2025
Natalie Morales hits back after her interview with Seth Meyers is removed from all platforms due to a revealing outfit
Apr 5, 2025
"Babyface, can you believe she wants me to dress like a girl?" Michael Jackson told a producer.
Apr 2, 2025
Sofia Vergara also dished out on why she doesn't ever want to play Modern Family's Gloria again
Apr 2, 2025
"It took more and more to get high, and I honestly don't know when your body decides it can't deal with it anymore," Lisa Marie Presley wrote.
Apr 1, 2025
A family member's last-minute intervention saved Michael Jackson from the 9/11 tragedy—here’s what happened
Apr 1, 2025