Diana tried to kill herself four times over her unhappy marriage, controversial new documentary set to claim

The documentary will focus on Diana's mental torment, which in turn led to eating disorders in the days leading up to her divorce from Prince Charles in 1992


                            Diana tried to kill herself four times over her unhappy marriage, controversial new documentary set to claim
(Getty Images)
ADVERTISEMENT

The royal family, still in turmoil over Megxit, has another headache in the making in the form of a documentary that is set to claim that Princess Diana tried to commit suicide four times over her unhappy marriage before her tragic death in a car crash in 1997.

The documentary, provisionally titled 'Being Me: Diana', is bound to be especially enraging for Prince Harry and Prince William, who were very close to their mother and are protective of her legacy. 

ADVERTISEMENT

The four-part series is being made by TV company DSP, which also produced the movie '127 Hours' and ITV's 'Torvill And Dean.' According to the Sun, the documentary will focus on Diana's mental torment, which in turn led to eating disorders in the days leading up to her divorce from Prince Charles in 1992.

ADVERTISEMENT

Apart from interviews of people close to the People's Princess, the series will also include Diana's own recorded speeches before her death and also deals with her painful childhood. 

Although the project has been planned for a Netflix release, it has not been commissioned by the popular streaming-service yet. “This is a not a commissioned show and everything within the treatment is already in the public domain," a spokeswoman for Endemol Shine, the parent company for DSP, said.

ADVERTISEMENT

A source said that The Firm does not want anything to do with the documentary.

"The royals will refuse to take part as will the Spencer family. William and Harry will be very upset and angry. It’s particularly distressing for Harry because he’s been working with Netflix. At a time when the royals have been dealt a blow with Harry and Meghan leaving, the timing is not good," the source said. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Princess Diana And Prince Charles watch an official event during their first royal Australian tour 1983 IN Newcastle, Australia. (Getty Images)

Meanwhile, the news of the docu-series might be especially upsetting to Harry, in case Netflix picks it up as he worked with the streaming service on a 'Thomas The Tank Engine' 75th anniversary special that was released over the weekend. He filmed it before he and Meghan Markle stepped down as members of the royal family earlier this year. The couple also has an array of projects lined up with the company for the future. 

ADVERTISEMENT

The special called 'Thomas and Friends: The Royal Engine' features Harry's father and grandmother, Prince Charles and the Queen, as animated characters. It was confirmed by a Buckingham Palace spokeswoman that the special had been in works for a "long time" and that "everybody was aware" of it before it aired. Proceeds from the anniversary edition will be donated to environment and sustainability projects under Harry's Travalyst project. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Harry was seen introducing the special, as he sat in an armchair, reading from a book about the train's adventures. 

"Thomas the Tank Engine has been a comforting, familiar face to so many families over the last 75 years - entertaining, educating and inspiring children on important issues through exciting stories and characters. I certainly have fond memories of growing up with Thomas & Friends and being transported to new places through his adventures. I am very proud to have been asked to take part in this special episode. I wish Thomas and Friends a very happy anniversary," he said. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Meghan has also been involved in similar projects as she narrated the Disney+ documentary 'Elephant' which started streaming on April 3. She, like her husband, also vowed to donate proceeds from the project to charity.