Disney pulls ads from Tucker Carlson's show as Fox News host attacks Black Lives Matter protesters
Papa John's International Inc and T-Mobile US Inc also pulled ads from his show after Carlson's bizarre comments
The Walt Disney Company and other firms such as Papa John's International Inc and T-Mobile US Inc have taken down advertisements from Tucker Carlson's show on Fox News after his comments on the Black Lives Matter movement. On Monday, June 8, Carlson said, "This may be a lot of things, this moment we’re living through, but it is definitely not about black lives. And remember that when they come for you — and at this rate, they will."
According to Deadline, many of the companies have pulled their ads from 'Tucker Carlson Tonight' over the host's bizarre comments on the protests. "Anyone who has ever been subjected to the rage of the mob knows the feeling. It's like being swarmed by hornets," he said. "You cannot think clearly. And the temptation is to panic, but you can’t panic. You've got to keep your head and tell the truth. Tell the truth. If you show weakness of any kind, they will crush you," he continued and added, "Tell the truth, and the truth is, this is a good country. Better than any other. Of course, we are flawed, but we are trying, unlike most places and we have nothing to be ashamed of — none of us."
While speaking to Popular Information, Disney revealed that they would "no longer advertise on Tucker Carlson". They shared that their ads were placed via a third party and buyer and the company was previously unaware that they were running during the show. Disney added that they have told the third party to avoid placing any ads on Carlson's show. Papa John's has also followed suit and said, "Papa John’s media spend is designed to reach a wide range of potential, new and existing consumers across platforms. Placement of advertising is not intended to be an endorsement of any specific programming or commentary. We have decided to suspend all resources allocated against opinion-based programming."
The company T-Mobile openly cut ties with Carlson's show after being pressured to do so on social media by the group Sleeping Giants. T-Mobile commented, "Of course. We haven’t run ads on Tucker Carlson Tonight since early May and have canceled all future placements. We will continue to support those who stand against racial injustice."
We had earlier reported how protests and outrage have engulfed the country over the death of 46-year-old George Floyd. A now-former police officer, Derek Chauvin, knelt on Floyd's neck for almost nine minutes while restraining him. Floyd repeatedly told the officer that he was unable to breathe but Chauvin did not budge. The incident was recorded on video, which went viral and sparked nationwide outrage. According to experts hired by Floyd's family and the Hennepin County Medical Examiner, both ruled his death as homicide.
In light of Floyd's death, the nation took to protesting police brutality and the lack of regard for African American lives. Chauvin has been charged with second-degree murder in Floyd's death and he made his first court appearance on Monday, June 8, where a judge raised his unconditional bail amount to $1.25M.