'Gorilla Glue girl' Tessica Brown FINALLY gets hair 'unstuck' after LA's Michael Obeng performs free surgery
When Tessica gained consciousness after the treatment, her reaction was incredible as she choked up realizing she could once again run her fingers through her hair
A Louisiana woman who went viral on social media after using Gorilla Glue to set her hair has received her first treatment from a Los Angeles plastic surgeon after struggling with the same hair for a month. Tessica Brown flew to LA on Wednesday, February 10, and went straight to the office of Dr Michael Obeng, who claimed to de-glue her hair with a medical-grade glue dissolver. The whole procedure reportedly takes three days and costs a whopping $12,500, but Dr Obeng has offered his help for free to Brown.
As per a Daily Mail report, the TikToker was seen covering her head with a white sheet as she left the doctor's appointment. The plastic surgeon offered her help after Brown’s mishap became national headlines. He said, “When I found out this was a reality, you can only feel compassion and sympathy for Tessica. The surgery went well. Tessica is doing well. She's awake. The hair crew is doing her hair.” TMZ recorded the whole procedure and stated that it was an exhausting process that took around four hours. The tabloid reported that during the process, Brown was under light anesthesia. However, when she gained consciousness, her reaction was incredible as she choked up realizing she could once again run her fingers through her hair. The ingredients that were used to remove the glue from the hair were medical grade adhesive remover, aloe vera, olive oil, and a dash of acetone.
You can watch the video here.
Who is Tessica Brown aka Gorilla Glue Girl? Louisiana mom goes viral for 'glued' hair that sent her to ER
The mother-of-five has earlier described her pain while stuck with a single hairstyle for a month, which gave her “extreme” headaches. She also claimed that she did not intend to go viral because of her ordeal. In a candid interview with Entertainment Tonight’s Melicia Johnson, Brown said, “I never was going to take this to social media. The reason I took this to social media was because I didn't know what else to do. And I know somebody out there could have told me something. I didn't think for one second when I got up the next morning it was gonna be everywhere.”
The 40-year-old woman stated that she used the glue after she ran out of her go-to product. But it ended up being more disastrous because, after dozens of hair washes, she failed to remove it from her hair. Even superglue remover and acetone did not provide any help. Brown also sought a hospital’s help as she went to the emergency room at St. Bernard Parish Hospital in Chalmette, Louisiana, where healthcare workers tried removing the glue using “little acetone packs” that burned her scalp. However, she dismissed reports that claimed she spent 22 hours in the hospital for the process. Since she could not be away from her children for too long, she chose to use the acetone wipes at home.
Brown also claimed that she regretted her decision to post her ordeal online because of all the criticisms and scrutiny she got. “I told my son today, ‘I wish I could just go back,' because I'm over it. I'm over it. I'm usually the person that I don't care what people say. I just move at my own pace. I don't care what people say, but it's just getting to the point where people are on TV saying stuff about me.” The thing that hurt her most was some people saying she sprayed the glue intentionally to become famous. “Who in their right mind would say, ‘Oh well, let me just spray this in my head and become famous overnight?' Never! Who would want them to do that? I needed somebody to tell me how to take this off, that's all it was,” she explained.
The working woman, who owns Tessica's Little Angels daycare and runs the Dazzling Divaz dance team, said people calling her “Gorilla Glue Girl” not just offended her, but also upset her school-age daughters. “My name is Tessica. Every time somebody puts up something on social media, that's it, my inbox is flooded. Don't worry about this thing. Yeah, y'all can say that. This is what my momma keeps telling me, 'Stop reading the comments.' But I can't help myself. I go read them, and they're still sending me clips of what happened…It's way, way, way, too much,” she said. The incident affected her daughters so much that one of them even refused Brown to do her hair.
However, it’s not just criticisms, Brown has received plenty of support and positive messages also from Missy Elliott, Chance the Rapper, and Beyoncé's hairstylist, Neal Farinah, who offered her a wig. “A lot of people want to give me hair. but the reason I wasn't accepting it is because I don't want people to be like, 'Oh, that's why she did it,’” she added. Besides, Brown also denied reports that she was planning to sue Gorilla Glue for the tragedy. She confessed that it was her “mistake”. The company also issued a statement over the whole scenario that stated, “We are aware of the situation and we are very sorry to hear about the unfortunate incident that Miss Brown experienced using our Spray Adhesive on her hair. We are glad to see in her recent video that Miss Brown has received medical treatment from her local medical facility and wish her the best.”