Supergirl: Yara Shahidi and 4 others who can nail the role of Kryptonian hero in DCEU
There cannot be a better time for Warner Bros to push for a Supergirl film, not only adding more icons to the lineup in the process but also diversifying the existing roster.
Major changes are in order in DC's corner of the cinematic universe - dubbed DCEU - and if latest reports are any indication, all attention is right now on a Supergirl-led movie. A bold move on part of the Warner Bros/DC camp indeed, it is yet to be seen who is chosen for the much-talked-about role of the Kryptonian superhero.
Co-incidentally, the news of a solo feature for Supergirl surfaced around the same time as Henry Cavill's exit from the DC roster as Superman. Having played the caped hero in three movies - 'Man of Steel', 'Superman vs Batman: Dawn of Justice', and 'Justice League' - the actor seems ready to finally hang up his boots, making it even more essential for the franchise to fill up the Cavill-sized void.
“We have a great relationship and great respect for Henry Cavill that continues to remain unchanged. Additionally, we have made no current decisions regarding any upcoming Superman films,” a Warner Bros. spokesperson was quoted as saying on the topic of Cavill's departure from the superhero franchise. Heartbreaking as it is, a lack of Cavill-played Superman, though, does not necessarily mean bad news for DC fans. In fact, it's an opportunity for DC - albeit a double-edged one.
There cannot be a better time for DC/Warner Bros to push for a Supergirl feature film, not only adding more icons to the lineup in the process but also diversifying the existing roster. Without further ado, here's a look at the actresses, who we think, can nail the role of Supergirl:
1. Yara Shahidi: It's no news that Michael B Jordan is tipped to be amongst the top candidates to replace Cavill as the next Superman in DCEU. If we can have a non-white Superman then why not the same with Supergirl. This way DC can even beat Marvel when it comes to introducing racially diverse superheroes.
Hot off her performance on shows like 'Black-ish' and its spinoff 'Grown-ish', casting Shahidi seems like a wise decision, especially given the actress' flair for comedy and intense drama.
2. Hailee Steinfeld - Okay, those who have seen 'Barely Lethal', exactly know what we are saying. As a young spy, Steinfeld was bang on in the 2015 comedy opposite Jessica Alba. In addition to her acting chops, the 21-yr-old actress is also perfect age wise to start off the saga of Supergirl in DCEU.
3. Naomi Scott - Starting off with 2011's 'Terra Nova' and most recently with her performance in 'Power Rangers', Scott has established that she is star material. The 25-year-old actress is versatile and an interesting fit that DC must consider for the Supergirl movie.
4. Saoirse Ronan - The American-Irish actress has one Oscar nomination and one Golden Globe award under her belt, making her an attractive choice for the superhero movie. Perhaps this 'Lady Bird' could add the much-needed intensity that DC has been missing for some time now.
5. Claire Holt - Australian actress Claire Holt had been a top contender for the role even before Melissa Benoist was officially chosen by CW for the superhero's small screen iteration. Bringing a fresh face, after all, cannot go wrong for a franchise looking for an overhaul.