SM Entertainment's NCT Hollywood slammed as it joins MGM to form US-based K-pop band: 'SM wants to destroy NCT'
SM Entertainment is partnering with MGM Worldwide Television Group to introduce a new subunit called NCT Hollywood through a survival show. The new survival show will scout young Americans who have to go through a series of audition rounds to be eligible for the competition and even fly to Seoul for 'K-pop Bootcamp training'.
In the quest to find America’s most talented emerging artists in the age group of 13-25, SM Entertainment will conduct a number of dance, vocal and style tests along with training young K-pop enthusiasts, who will learn from other NCT members. SM Entertainment founder Lee Sooman said, “I look forward to making an unconventional audition show that all music fans around the world can enjoy,” and added, “I hope the audience enjoys watching the journey of new stars being born in Hollywood, that will be promoted as NCT-Hollywood in the global market in the future.”
When will EXO's Baekhyun return from military service? Sehun shows love to K-pop star: 'You are worth the wait'
SM Entertainment's A&R unit head fired after secretly registering wife's name as lyricist for EXO and BoA songs
How to apply for NCT Hollywood?
NCT Hollywood, which will be a part of NCT's infinite extension plan, will allow young Americans to pursue the K-pop fever. So far, NCT has 23 members and a number of subunits including NCT Dream, NCT U, NCT 127 and WayV. NCT stars have also been scouted from different parts of Asia including China, Japan and Thailand. While the details of how to apply for NCT Hollywood are yet to be disclosed, the proposition has caused quite a storm in social media where fans have slammed SM Entertainment for destroying NCT.
SME and MGM are teaming up to find the next K-Pop star in America! @mgmstudios Chairman Mark Burnett, creator of The Voice & Survivor, and @SMTOWNGLOBAL Founder & Producer Soo-Man Lee, father of the Korean Wave, announced that a new show is in the works!#NCTHollywood #NCT #MGM pic.twitter.com/gRQCAAZB1b— SMTOWN (@SMTOWNGLOBAL) May 7, 2021
'SM just leave NCT alone'
SM Entertainment has been slammed for not introducing NCT Japan or NCT Thailand but going ahead with NCT Hollywood. A fan said, "why can’t sm just leave nct alone! an American survival show sounds interesting but leave nct out of it. Why are they so scared of just debuting a whole new boy group??" Another NCTzen chimed in saying, "and where is NCT Japan? NCT Thailand? NCT Philippines? NCT Vietnam?. but NCT Hollywood?!" An outraged fan said, "No fucking way.... absolutely not!!!! SM wants to destroy NCT.... there's no way.... leave nct out of this fucking project.."
why can’t sm just leave nct alone 😭😭 an American survival show sounds interesting but leave nct out of it. Why are they so scared of just debuting a whole new boy group??— moon⁷ (@ds_moonstar) May 6, 2021
and where is NCT Japan? NCT Thailand? NCT Philippines? NCT Vietnam?.— 🫀ᴍᴬᴄᴬ🔥🌶 (@maca9NcT5) May 6, 2021
but NCT Hollywood?! 😐😐😶😶
No fucking way.... absolutely not!!!! SM wants to destroy NCT.... there's no way.... leave nct out of this fucking project..— gabi🌶 #FreeNCT (@theneos127) May 6, 2021
Speaking of the NCT Hollywood project, MGM Television chairman Mark Burnett said in a statement, “K-pop is more than a genre of music; it’s a cultural phenomenon and we’re so excited to partner with the incredible Soo-Man Lee and the team at SM to bring K-pop to the U.S.!”
Earlier this year, HYBE, the home of Grammy-nominated BTS also announced a similar project in collaboration with Universal Music Group. The project would include a survival show and US-based Kpop group. Meanwhile, NCT Dream, the subunit of NCT, is coming back with their album 'Hot Sauce' which will be released on May 10. Watch the teaser here.