About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy Terms of Use Accuracy & Fairness Corrections & Clarifications Ethics Code Your Ad Choices
© MEAWW All rights reserved

Eugene Quaynor: Oral Roberts University soccer player, 23, killed in fiery car crash

'He was a team captain and known for his captivating smile', says a GoFundMe page created by an unknown individual for Eugene Quaynor
Eugene Quaynor, 23, who was alone in his car died by the time first responders arrived (Oral Roberts University)
Eugene Quaynor, 23, who was alone in his car died by the time first responders arrived (Oral Roberts University)

 TULSA, OKLAHOMA: A catastrophic vehicle accident has claimed the life of Eugene Quaynor, who was 23 years old and served as the captain of the soccer team at Oral Roberts University in Tulsa, Oklahoma. According to a statement posted on Facebook by the Tulsa Police Department, an automobile accident that occurred on Wednesday resulted in the death of a collegiate soccer player.

According to the authorities, a guy who was driving an SUV attempted to flee; however, EMSA paramedics were able to restrain him until cops arrived at the scene. It wasn't until 10.20 pm that officers were made aware of a collision near the intersection of 71st and S Yale. "We received several calls of a car fully on fire and a person still inside the vehicle," the statement said according to the People.


How did Marlin Briscoe die? First Black starting quarterback in AFL, 76, was called 'The Magician'

How did Katie Meyer die? Stanford soccer player, 22, 'was extraordinarily committed'

"After the initial investigation, officers determined the male driver of the SUV rear-ended the silver Nissan at the stop light, hitting it hard enough to push the car through the intersection. The Nissan spun around and hit a retaining wall on the southeast corner, then caught fire," said TPD. Eventually, Quaynor was revealed to be the Nissan's driver. Even while onlookers attempted to assist Quaynor in evacuating his vehicle, they were unable to do so since it instantly caught fire. They then used rocks to try to break the glass, but, according to the TPD, "the fire became too much." When emergency personnel came, Quaynor was already dead. The other car's driver was taken to the hospital. "He was unsteady on his feet, unable to walk, and appeared to be severely intoxicated. No one else was in the SUV with him," the statement continued.

Police conducted a toxicological analysis and have recommended filing charges with the District Attorney's Office. ORU aided law enforcement in notifying Quaynor's loved ones of his death. An unknown individual has created a GoFundMe and has already collected over $34,000 toward their $50,000 target. "Eugene was a beloved member of the ORU men's soccer team. He was a team captain and known for his captivating smile," it reads. "Anyone that knew Eugene, knew he could do no wrong. He was genuine, others oriented, humble, and so kind. He loved the Lord and brought light wherever he went. We are praying for his Family in Ghana."

The college's athletic division shared a statement via Twitter, stating, "We mourn the loss of @ORUMSoccer student-athlete, Eugene Quaynor. Eugene was the epitome of the mission we strive for. He was a captain and had a spirit-empowered heart ready to impact the world for Jesus. His infectious smile will be missed, but we will never forget #27."


The university shared the post, adding that they "[send] our deepest sympathies to friends and family of @OralRobertsU student-athlete Eugene Quaynor. It is a university's saddest day when the life of a student is cut short. Our hearts go out to ORU students, faculty and staff during this time of tragedy."