'I am not sure it would float': Julie Andrews says she's unlikely to reprise her role for 'Princess Diaries 3'

Julie's comments come after it was reported that a script is being written for a third installment of the franchise for Disney
Julie Andrews says she is unlikely to reprise her role as Queen Clarisse Renaldi in 'Princess Diaries 3' (Emma McIntyre/Getty Images and IMDb)
Julie Andrews says she is unlikely to reprise her role as Queen Clarisse Renaldi in 'Princess Diaries 3' (Emma McIntyre/Getty Images and IMDb)

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: It was said that the third installment of the Anne Hathaway-directed film series is in the works for November. But that might not be true, because "it's been many years," says Hathaway's co-star in the film Julie Andrews. She also doubts that the flow of the film has been interrupted with time.

According to earlier reports, the third film is currently in the works at Disney. 'Supergirl' and 'Reacher' writer Aadrita Mukerji is penning the script for the new film, which will be a continuation of the series starring Anne Hathaway, not a reboot. Debra Martin Chase, who produced the previous two 'Princess Diaries' films, is also returning to produce the third installment - 'Princess Diaries 3' However, Hathaway, who played Mia Thermopolis in the series, does not currently have a contract for the third film, although fans hope she will be back when the script is finished.

RELATED ARTICLES

'It feels as though we lost a friend': Julie Andrews pays emotional tribute to Queen Elizabeth II

Princess Diaries: Obsessing over royal princesses and fooling ourselves with the celebrity worship syndrome

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Julie Andrews, who played Queen Clarisse Renaldi, grandmother of Mia Thermopolis (Anne Hathaway) in the movie franchise, recently told the outlet that she doesn't think a third film will actually happen this many years after the first two.

"I think we know that it's probably not going to be possible," Andrews said. "It was talked about very shortly after two came out, but it's now how many years since then? And I am that much older and Annie the princess, or queen, is so much older. And I am not sure where it would float or run. In terms of us doing it, I doubt that now."

Too Fab confirmed this isn't the first time Andrews raised an eyebrow or showed her hesitation about the project. Andy Cohen had the chance to speak to Andrews on 'Watch What Happens Live,' where he had to ask about a possible third film, and it honestly just comes down to time said the actress.

After hearing that Hathway said a script was in place for a third film Andrews said, "The truth is I haven't heard but there's been talk about it for quite a while. I think she's had or is having a second child and she's busy and I've been busy. I think if it happens it would be lovely."

2001's original film brought in 165 million dollars, while the sequel 'The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement,' brought in 134 million dollars. Shockingly, the film only cost 40 million dollars to make, thus safe to say it was a big win and a massive success.

GET THE BIGGEST ENTERTAINMENT STORIES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

The film follows veteran pop star Mother Mary reuniting with her estranged costume designer and best friend Coel for a comeback concert
11 hours ago
A continuation of the ‘Star Wars’ franchise, ‘The Mandalorian and Grogu’ is slated to release in theaters on May 22.
14 hours ago
The lead stars took to X to officially reveal the title of the fifth installment in Disney's hit musical fantasy franchise.
1 day ago
Sophie Thatcher descends into a neon-drenched nightmare in Nicolas Winding Refn’s latest haunting thriller of 'Her Private Hell.'
1 day ago
‘The Wailing’ director’s next sci-fi epic with A-list Hollywood and Korean stars will be in the US theaters sooner than expected.
1 day ago
Markiplier's self-funded post-apocalyptic movie, 'Iron Lung,' is now set to be exclusively available on YouTube.
1 day ago
'In the Grey' opened to mixed reviews from critics, putting the focus on the possibility of a sequel
3 days ago
While critics panned it, John Travolta was awarded a special Palme d'Or at Cannes ahead of the world premiere of his directorial debut
3 days ago
Director Jeff Fowler shares a major ‘Sonic the Hedgehog 4’ update as fans begin discussing the movie’s next villain.
3 days ago
Amazon MGM Studios begins the search for the next 'James Bond' as speculation grows around several major Hollywood contenders.
4 days ago