'There were no motion sensors': 9-yr-old boy dies after getting trapped in garage door while playing
Tarawaley's father revealed that when he went down to check on the children, he found his young boy crushed at the top of the automatic garage door
Warning: The article contains graphic recollection of tragedy that could be triggering to some readers. Discretion is advised.
MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA: A young boy was killed after he was stuck in a garage door and another child was taken to the hospital with critical wounds. At around 7.30 pm on November 12, 2022, emergency personnel were called to a residence in Newport in Melbourne's southwest to attend to both children.
Abdul Razack Tarawaley, 9, died at a residence on Mason Street in Melbourne's southwest. He was given medical attention on the spot by paramedics, but couldn't be saved. The second child was brought to the hospital and is in a critical state. The property was attended by police, ambulance, and fire departments. "The incident is not being treated as suspicious," a Victoria Police spokesperson said, according to 9News.
Tarawaley's father, who goes by the same name as his little son, described him as a "lovely and kind" boy who aspired to become a doctor. "He touched our life," he said, adding, "I miss him so much. Even in school, he was the smartest. He loved to play soccer. He was the only son I have. It's really hard. The grief is real, my only child, we have nobody else."
The father revealed that when he went down to check on the children, he found his young boy crushed at the top of the automatic garage door. "I tried to pull down the gate but I can't because it's too big, it's too heavy," the heartbroken father told the Herald Sun. "I touched his head, I touched his fingers, all is cold."
According to the boy's father, his son and a neighboring boy were riding on the garage door as they pushed the open button to raise it toward the car park ceiling. However, as the door opened, it severely hurt his friend and crushed his son. Tarawaley was going to turn 10 in just two weeks, according to the distraught parent.
Tarawaley attended Newport Primary School and was in grade four. Lamin, the little boy's uncle, has questioned the absence of safety features like motion sensors or an emergency stop button on the garage door. "The door only had a button to go up and down and where the button is placed is reachable to kids," he said as reported by Daily Mail.
As the close-knit Altona North community mourns the death, Tarawaley's family has been inundated with Facebook condolences to their little son. "My heart aches with such sudden news. Finding it so difficult to believe. You'll forever be in my heart my Ju," one person wrote. "It is very painful. I'm just in shock, pain and grief," another person shared.
This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.