6-year-old boy pulled out from debris 2 days after massive earthquake leaves over 271 dead in Indonesia
At least 2,200 houses are reported to have been damaged as per officials, and around 13,000 people displaced
MEDAN, INDONESIA: A six-year-old boy, Azka Maulana Malik, has been taken out from debris in a miraculous rescue operation after an earthquake struck Indonesia, on Tuesday, November 22. The center of the 5.6 magnitude disaster was in Cianjur regency, where Indonesia's National Agency for Disaster Management (BNPB) believed that over 60 people had been killed in the earthquake. Major General Suharyanto, head of BNPB said on Wednesday, November 23 during a press conference that the death toll has reached above 271. Suharyanto shared the heartbreaking news that over one-third of the casualties were children.
The agency confirmed that the rescued boy, Azka is being treated at a local hospital for his injuries. According to local media, he was found next to his grandmother’s body, as his parents’ bodies were already taken out from the debris by the team before they could reach Azka, according to CNN. Hours after the tragic earthquake on November 21, Herman Suherman, the head of the Cianjur regency said, that most of the deaths were the result of "falling buildings." He said, "Some were hit on the head. All you can hear here is ambulance sirens everywhere,” reported The Washington Post.
4000 photos, 1000 tips and 103 evidences: Police ask for patience as they look for University of Idaho killer
Kristina Ishmael: Biden education official makes Twitter private after anti-White tweets unearthed
Ricky Susan, a local journalist in Cianjur said he was having a coffee at a military barrack when the natural disaster unfolded. “I saw a group of the minimarket employees standing outside the ruins, and they were all crying. They told me that one of them didn’t make it out and was buried in the rubble,” said Susan. Ridwan Kamil, governor of West Java province, told the local press, “We need to remain vigilant.” He assured people that the government is ready to address any aftershocks or other emergencies, “This is disaster season at the end of the year, which is frightening,” he added.
Dwikorita Karnawati, head of Indonesia’s Meteorological, Climatological, and Geophysical Agency, said in a press conference that the earthquake caused a landslide on the outskirts of Cianjur, which has completely cut off road access from the neighboring Puncak Pass, which is a mountain route in West Java. The nation registered 45 aftershocks, however, no tsunami warning was issued by the authorities, as per the report.
At least 2,200 houses are reported to have been damaged as per officials, and around 13,000 people displaced. The US Geological Survey revealed that the quake occurred at a depth of just six miles (10km), which made it more impactful.