96-year-old D-Day veteran attacked with claw hammer, left for dead

40-year-old Joseph Isaacs who attacked veteran Jim Booth in Somerset in November last year, denies attempting to murder the veteran

                            96-year-old D-Day veteran attacked with claw hammer, left for dead
Jim Booth was a D-Day veteran (Getty Images)

A 96-year-old D-day veteran was hit with a claw hammer by a man, who "left him for dead," a court heard.

According to reports, 40-year-old Joseph Isaacs attacked veteran Jim Booth in Somerset in November last year.

The attack happened on the front door of Booth's house, after the assailant approached the victim telling him that his roof needed repairing.

After the old man refused the offer, Isaacs hit him with a claw hammer leaving him incapacitated, the court hearings read.

Isaacs, who appeared at the trial at Taunton Crown Court via video link from HMP Long Lartinm, denies attempting to murder Booth, the BBC reported.

According to Metro, the prosecutor Rachel Drake said, "As Isaacs got closer, he was yelling ‘Money, money, money’ at him. James Booth retreated into his living room where he fell to the floor, thinking 'Oh my God, I am dead'."


Isaacs took the victim's wallet which had all his bank cards.

In a police interview two days after the attack, Booth said he remembered "being hit and hit."

He also said he was surprised that the hammer "was shiny and new" and not like one from a workman’s toolbox.

The bloodied old man crawled up to his neighbors in Taunton, Somerset. He suffered skull fractures and injuries to his arms and hands as he tried to protect himself from the blows. Taunton crown court heard he suffered "multiple blunt force impact" consistent with the use of a weapon.

Booth spent nine days in the hospital following the burglary at his home in Taunton, Somerset.

Isaacs, used Booth’s contactless credit card several times, and even bought a meal at Burger King with the card. Two days later he was stopped in a car reported missing by his mother. Police found a £50 cheque made payable to Booth in the footwell.
Isaacs, whose last address was in Exeter, Devon, denies attempted murder. The trial continues.

Booth earned the nickname ‘The Legend’ for his role as part of a submarine crew that spent five days guiding Allied craft to the D-Day beaches. He was also awarded Croix de Guerre award by the French military for his outstanding gallantry.