Virginia mom arrested as 4-year-old son dies after eating THC gummies!

Virginia mom arrested as 4-year-old son dies after eating THC gummies!
Dorothy Clements is facing murder charges after her toddler ingested THC gummies (Spotsylvania Sheriff's Office/Facebook)

If you or anyone you know suspects child abuse, you are urged to immediately call the Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-4-A-Child or 1-800-422-4453, or go to www.childhelp.org. All calls are toll-free and confidential and the hotline is available 24/7 in more than 170 languages.

PARTLOW, VIRGINIA: A Spotsylvania County grand jury handed down an indictment against Dorothy Annette Clements, 30, for the death of her 4-year-old son, Tanner. According to the doctors, the boy died after ingesting a high amount of THC, the active ingredient found in cannabis. She was arrested on Thursday, October 20, and is now facing murder and child neglect charges.

ADVERTISEMENT

Clements thought she had bought harmless CBD gummies from a Fredericksburg store. Clements said she had no idea that the gummies she bought actually contained tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) the compound that can get you high. Doctors discovered that the child's THC blood level was "extremely high", leading them to suspect that the boy consumed a sizable amount of those gummies. According to the sheriff's office, doctors told police that the boy could have survived if they had provided him with immediate medical attention.

ADVERTISEMENT

READ MORE

The Evil in Jessica Trefethen: Mother viciously abuses and kills son, 3, tries to blame his sister and dog

Tiffanimarie Pirozzi: Florida mom arrested for threatening to 'blow up' child's school after getting parking ticket

ADVERTISEMENT

Before being arrested, Clements told WUSA9 that her 4-year-old son was sitting right next to her when he started to face trouble breathing. She said she discovered that he had managed to eat half a gummy and called poison control. She was assured he would be okay. Tanner later died at the hospital. The detective found an empty THC gummy jar in the house and Tanner's toxicology reports clearly showed that he died due to ingesting a large amount of THC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Fox News Digital contacted the sheriff's office to get further information about how much the toddler had consumed. Major Troy Skebo was only able to confirm that the gummies contained "delta-8 THC," which the FDA states is one of more than 100 cannabinoids that the cannabis plant naturally produces but is not present in substantial quantities. According to the FDA, delta-8 THC products have not been evaluated or approved by the agency for safe use in any context and “should especially be kept out of reach of children and pets.” 

ADVERTISEMENT

Clements remains in custody at the Rappahannock Regional Jail without bond. 

Share this article: Virginia mom arrested as 4-year-old son dies after eating THC gummies!