About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy Terms of Use Accuracy & Fairness Corrections & Clarifications Ethics Code Your Ad Choices
© MEAWW All rights reserved

Tioga man allegedly raped 8-month-old daughter before murdering her and leading cops to her body

Cody A. Franciscovich has been charged with first-degree murder in the death of his daughter, Ruby, and could face further charges of first-degree rape and first-degree criminal sexual act

A 25-year-old man from Tioga, Pennsylvania, has been accused of raping and sexually assaulting his infant daughter before killing her and leading the police to her body.

According to the Binghamton Press & Sun-Bulletin, Cody A. Franciscovich has been charged with first-degree murder in connection with the death of his eight-month-old daughter, Ruby.

A felony complaint filed against Franciscovich at the Tioga Town Court also alleged that the 25-year-old committed the crimes of first-degree rape and first-degree criminal sexual act before killing the infant, though he was not formally charged with either yet. 

Ruby's death, and suspected rape, came to light after Tioga County 911 Center received a "check the welfare" call from the infant's mother at around 7.14 am on Sunday, June 16, after it was found that she and her father were missing from the Deep Well Motel they were staying at on Route 17C.

As New York State troopers searched the area for signs of Ruby, another 911 call took their attention to a nearby location just west of the Route 17C motel where they found a naked Franciscovich along the road.

On questioning, he led them to a pond behind St. Patricks's Cemetery, and a little while later, they found the eight-month-old's body lying face down around 25 feet from the edge of the pond. The body was retrieved and taken to UHS Medical Center in Johnson City, where she was pronounced dead.

While a motive and cause of death have not yet been determined, the felony complaint claims Franciscovich "did knowingly and intentionally commit the crime of murder in the first degree when, in the immediate flight thereafter of committing the crimes of rape in the first degree and criminal sex act in the first degree, he killed his eight-month-old daughter."

Franciscovich pleaded not guilty to his charges this past Wednesday, June 12, and remains in Tioga County jail without bail. He is scheduled to make his next appearance in court on Friday, June 14, for a felony hearing, where the Tioga County District Attorney's Office will present the evidence they have against the 25-year-old.

The Binghamton Press & Sun-Bulletin reported that after hearing testimony from both prosecution and defense, Town Justice Patrick Hogan will determine whether there is probable cause to believe that a felony was committed and whether the case should be sent to Tioga County Court for further action.

A grand jury could then consider indicting Franciscovich on further charges, and the case could go to trial. If convicted of first-degree murder, the 25-year-old faces life in prison.