Alec Baldwin's name among 'possible defendant' in 'Rust shooting', says Santa Fe DA

Criminal charges including homicide and gun violations will be slapped against four individuals, including Alec Baldwin, claims the letter from District Attorney

Alec Baldwin's name among 'possible defendant' in 'Rust shooting', says Santa Fe DA
Actor Alec Baldwin is likely to be named among defendants in 'Rust shooting case', where cinamatographer Halyna Hutchins had died due to bullet shot (Sonia Recchia/Getty Images, Mark Sagliocco/Getty Images for National Geography)
ADVERTISEMENT

SANTA FE, NEW MEXICO: Famous actor Alec Baldwin, who just welcomed his seventh child this month is likely to be prosecuted in "Rust shooting." In a letter written by Santa Fe District Attorney, Mary Carmack-Altwies, to the state’s finance board reveals that at least four people could face criminal charges in relation to last year’s incident. During the filming of the ‘Rust’ movie, a young cinematographer Halyna Hutchins lost her life when a bullet hit her, and director Joel Souza suffered injuries.
 
Santa Fe New Mexican was the first to report the letter, which points out that criminal charges including homicide and gun violations will be slapped against four individuals. "One of the possible defendants is well-known movie actor Alec Baldwin," the letter dating August 30, read. "If charges are warranted, the (1st judicial district attorney) anticipates prosecuting up to four individuals. My expenses for the 'Rust' [case] will begin immediately and will be costly," she wrote.

ADVERTISEMENT

READ MORE

Ime Udoka's affair outed after Celtics staffer's husband heard private conversation on doorbell camera

Joe Exotic used ‘Tiger King’ Netflix royalties to deal drugs in prison, ex-lawyer claims in lawsuit

ADVERTISEMENT

The letter also said, “The emergency request for funding could not wait until the next legislative session because the evidence has just been returned, the state is ready to make charging decisions in the 'Rust' case.” Carmack-Altwies had asked for $635,500, which is likely for four separate jury trials, and expenses will include hiring a special investigator, reported a media spokesperson closely following the development.
 
As per the state office’s website ‘the state gave the district attorney's office $317,000 for the appointment of a special prosecutor to oversee the case. Moreover, according to reports Andrea Reeb has been appointed as special prosecutor.
 
‘The Getaway’ actor had surrendered his phone, as it is among the outstanding pieces of evidence in the case over to prosecutors, according to an earlier report by ABC News. Response from the New Mexico district attorney’s office representative, or on Baldwin’s side hasn’t been made yet. Just last month a much-awaited FBI report was submitted to the police, which concluded that the pistol "functioned normally when tested in the laboratory," the weapon Baldwin had fired from.
However, this goes in contradiction to Baldwin's claim that he never pulled the trigger. On this, his attorney said, who is among the producers of the movie, the report is "misconstrued."
 
“The gun fired in testing only one time — without having to pull the trigger — when the hammer was pulled back and the gun broke in two different places,” Luke Nikas, Baldwin's attorney said. He added, “The FBI was unable to fire the gun in any prior test, even when pulling the trigger because it was in such poor condition.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this article: Alec Baldwin's name among 'possible defendant' in 'Rust shooting', says Santa Fe DA