Sacramento shooting: Here's why 4 bodies remained on street 15 hours AFTER they were killed

After six people were killed in a brutal mass shooting, police left the bodies of four for 15 hours in the area as their identities are not yet known


                            Sacramento shooting: Here's why 4 bodies remained on street 15 hours AFTER they were killed
Police cordon off a street after a mass shooting in downtown Sacramento on April 3, 2022 (@LukeCleary/Twitter)
ADVERTISEMENT

Over half a day since the brutal gun violence took place, the bodies of four victims killed in the Sacramento bar fight remain outside the London nightclub, according to reports. Photos taken on April 4 from the scene show bodies of the victims still lying in the area, while the police investigation into the violence goes on. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Violence broke out in downtown Sacramento on April 3, 2022, at around 2 am after a massive bar fight got out of hand. In all, 18 people were shot, and six were confirmed to have died. Social media footage has since gone viral showing scenes just before the guns went off, indicating the scale and chaos just minutes before. It is reportedly the largest mass shooting in Sacramento's history and is also the largest so far in the US in 2022. 

ADVERTISEMENT

RELATED ARTICLES

Sacramento shooting: 6 dead and dozens injured near 10th and K Streets, gunman still at large

East High School shooting: Who is the Des Moines shooter? Teen dead, 2 wounded

ADVERTISEMENT

President Joe Biden has since weighed in, mourning the victims and calling for a ban on ghost guns, assault rifles, and high-capacity magazines. But while the politics over guns rages in Congress, the brutal results of their inaction remain visible on Sacramento's streets for all locals to see.

Why have the bodies been left behind?

Fifteen hours after the shooting, The Daily Mail observed four bodies still left on the street on April 4, 2022. A foot of a victim is visible outside the Pre Flite Lounge, as is the body of one male victim. That remains the case even though temperatures are steadily rising, and topped out at 80F. One woman, who lived above the bar told The Mail the bodies had been lying there "all day", adding, "Those are people’s sons and daughters lying out there. I have six kids of my own and I can’t imagine how I’d feel if that were them."

ADVERTISEMENT

The bodies remain on the sidewalk even as police continue to probe the shooting, but it is unclear why they haven't been taken away. Hours earlier, local journalist Chelsea Jones reported that the Chief of Police said, "It's a very complex investigation and they're being thorough," as a reason, but beyond that refused to comment on why the bodies are still on the ground. Sacramento PD has also not responded to requests for comment.

ADVERTISEMENT

The devastation and bloodshed span two blocks, and markers indicate more than 250 shots were fired. Police say there are multiple shooters, and a few suspects have been identified after tips from the public. However, they have not been named at the time of publishing this report. So far, only two victims have been identified - Sergio Harris and DeVasia Turner. The other four killed are yet to be identified. 

ADVERTISEMENT

It is also unclear what the condition of the other 12 people who were injured is. Police have not commented on them, and instead used a press conference to say the "complex is now secure," but the gunmen remain at large. Governor Gavin Newsom has also offered condolences, along with an attack on gun violence. 

ADVERTISEMENT