Roland Sakhawang: Toddler killed in horrific backyard fire while cooking dinner with father
Firefighters, called to the horror scene, managed to extinguish the blaze but unfortunately, it was already too late by the time they found his body
RINGWOOD, MELBOURNE: A three-year-old boy was killed in a Melbourne shed fire due to an explosion on Saturday evening, September 24, while he was cooking dinner with his father. Roland Sakhawang was trapped by a blaze that broke out inside the shed at the house on Belle Vue Avenue in Ringwood, Melbourne, at about 6 pm on Saturday. Firefighters, called to the horror scene, managed to extinguish the blaze but unfortunately, it was already too late by the time they found the toddler's body.
The family is part of Melbourne's Burmese community and several members including relatives, friends, and church members visited Sakhawang's house on Sunday. Church leader Jimmy Zathang said other family members were at a church service in Croydon while the father-son duo was preparing a meal. "They lit the fire... The father went into the house to pick up the beef... he went to the toilet and saw a light flash through the glass," he told The Herald Sun.
Roland was described as "a happy child, very active, very lovely" by the church leader. The family remembered the toddler as a bright and energetic boy that loved his older siblings and loved cartoons and cake. "We were having a barbecue and while he went inside to retrieve something or go to the toilet there was a fire happening," Roland's father Siang Sakhawang said. "He made everyone who met him very happy... One specific trend that he like is that he loved watching birthday cake cutting videos," the boy's father told Nine News. Neighbors heard the explosion and saw a plume of smoke rising from the backyard when they walked out into the street.
This is 3yo Roland Sakhawang. The little boy was tragically killed in a shed fire.— Cassie Zervos (@cassiezervos) September 25, 2022
Police say his death is a shocking accident and they’re not treating it as suspicious.
His father provided this photo, as he paid tribute to his “energetic, bubbly” son.@7NewsMelbourne pic.twitter.com/ejMcRECMom
"Heaps of people tried to help. People walking their dogs and other neighbours ran in with hoses," one resident said. Another local across the street said she later saw the wife and the boy's siblings return home and then heard crying. The family will start two weeks of traditional mourning for Roland. According to the Victorian Police, the investigation is still active, and said the circumstances surrounding the fatal fire are yet to be determined.
MEAWW previously reported that a man was reportedly arrested after he set fire to his twelve-year-old son and burnt him to death in his apartment. He was angry because the boy couldn't answer some questions about his homework assignment and schoolwork. Shaheer Khan sustained severe burns in the disturbing incident that took place in Karachi's Orangi town on September 14 and was rushed to the hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries two days later. His father was apprehended after he reportedly poured kerosene over his son and lit a match in order to scare the boy into completing his homework. The flame, however, ignited the oil and set the child ablaze. Shaheer's mum Shazia dashed into the room upon hearing her son's screams for help. Both parents threw blankets and clothes on the burning child in order to douse the flames, but it was too late.
12-year-old Shaheer enraged his father Nazir Khan as he could not answer a question about his studies and homework. The victim’s mother, Shazia, told that his father got furious and poured the combustible liquid and lit up a matchstick to scare the boy which led to the fire. pic.twitter.com/KCDBQIz44L— TheCivilEyes (@TheCivilEyes) September 19, 2022