Prince Charles will contribute over $2M to Harry, Meghan's $4M-a-year security bill to pay private guards in US

The bill is expected to be high because Metropolitan Police are not permitted to carry guns in the US forcing the royal couple to use private guards  


                            Prince Charles will contribute over $2M to Harry, Meghan's $4M-a-year security bill to pay private guards in US
(Getty Images)
ADVERTISEMENT

Prince Charles will reportedly pay Prince Harry and Meghan Markle over $2 million in security costs every year while they live in the US, according to a royal source.

The couple's security bill is estimated to cost over $4 million in America as they hire private guards, and Prince Charles is expected to pay a "private contribution" towards the bill, the Daily Mail reported.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Charles has agreed to pay a 'private contribution' to the Sussexes," a royal source told the outlet.

"It will not be revealed how much and what that is used for, but it is believed to be around £2 million. It would not be a surprise if it went into meeting the bill for security.  However, the Prince of Wales does not have an infinite amount of money. The total income from the Duchy of Cornwall is annually around £21 million."

ADVERTISEMENT

Reports state that the security cost for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex is expected to be high because the Metropolitan Police are not permitted to carry guns in the United States, hence, the couple may be forced to use private guards instead. 

  Prince Charles, Prince of Wales, Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex arrive to attend Christmas Day Church service at Church of St Mary Magdalene on the Sandringham estate on December 25, 2018 in King's Lynn, England (Getty Images)

ADVERTISEMENT

Shortly after President Donald Trump on Twitter said that American taxpayers will not foot the Sussexes' security bill, the Sussexes insisted that they never asked the US to contribute towards protecting them during their stay.

ADVERTISEMENT

"I am a great friend and admirer of the Queen & the United Kingdom. It was reported that Harry and Meghan, who left the Kingdom, would reside permanently in Canada. Now they have left Canada for the US. However, the US will not pay for their security protection. They must pay!" Trump had tweeted

A Sussex spokesperson responded to Trump's claims in a statement on March 30, saying, "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have no plans to ask the US Government for security resources. Privately funded security arrangements have been made." It is not yet known what private arrangements have been made by the royal couple.

ADVERTISEMENT

The couple's security bill, which includes a roster of nine highly-skilled British officers shuttling between the UK and US, is estimated to be around $99,00,000 per year. This amount is covered by British taxpayers through the budget of the Metropolitan Police. The pair had also received support from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police during their stay in Canada. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Royal experts had previously said that if the royal couple wanted assistance from the Secret Service in the US for their security, they would have to send a request to the State Department. The ultimate decision, however, would have been of President Trump, who on Twitter, made it clear that the US taxpayers would not foot the bill for the royals' security.

ADVERTISEMENT

The news came days after it emerged that the Sussexes had moved to California before the border with Canada closed amid the coronavirus pandemic. Meghan grew up in Los Angeles, where her mother Doria also lives. Meghan reportedly decided to move to Canada shortly after the Canadian authorities said that they would not contribute to the cost of protecting them after March 31.  

ADVERTISEMENT

Harry and Meghan reportedly took a private jet with their son Archie just hours before non-essential travel between Canada and the US was suspended to curb the coronavirus transmission.