Myles Sanderson: Second suspect in Canada mass stabbing dies from 'medical distress' soon after being arrested
Myles Sanderson died due to self-inflicted injuries shortly after police rammed his stolen vehicle and took him into custody
Warning: This article contains gore and graphic description of death, readers' discretion is advised
SASKATCHEWAN, CANADA: The second suspect, Myles Sanderson in the stabbing spree that killed 10 people occurred in Saskatchewan, Canada on Sunday, September 4 died after his arrest on Wednesday, September 7. Myles was arrested in Rosthern which is 80 miles away from the scenes of the stabbing after four days of manhunt.
According to The Guardian, Myles Sanderson went into “medical distress” after his arrest and was taken to hospital where he died, Royal Canadian Mounted police assistant commissioner Rhonda Blackmore said in a press conference on Wednesday, September 7. However, Blackmore did not comment on the cause of Myles's death.
Sanderson died shortly after being taken into custody after police rammed his stolen vehicle due to self-inflicted injuries. Furthermore, police stated that Sanderson fled at speeds of 93mph (150km/h). The officers rammed his vehicle into a ditch and police found a knife in the SUV as they arrested him. Earlier, another suspect, Damien Sanderson who is Myles's brother was found dead on Monday, September 5. Sanderson was taken into custody at around 3.30 pm on Wednesday, September 7 soon after an emergency alert was issued of a man with a knife traveling in a stolen white Chevy Avalanche in Wakaw, Saskatchewan.
Earlier on Wednesday, September 7, the parents of the Sanderson brothers spoke to CBC News, "Myles, my boy, turn yourself in. Please. You can do this," his mother said. "Come back. Turn yourself in. Do the right thing." "Myles, please, please turn yourself in.We don't want no more hurt. I don't want nobody hurt any more...please, my son. I love you. Turn yourself in. Be safe,"his father stated. He further added, "I give all my sincere apologies to the families.… From the bottom of my heart, I mean it," the father said. "I am so sorry this happened. I don't know what else to say, what to do.… I wish it was a dream."
"I want to apologize for my son, my sons. We don't know the whole story, but I want to apologize to everybody that was hurt and affected by this terrible situation," his mother added.
According to DailyMail, "There is no longer a risk to public safety relating to this investigation. Updates to come," an RCMP spokesperson said in a statement. Myles was the target of a massive police dragnet across the Saskatchewan province. Damien's injuries were not self-inflicted hence the officers are looking into whether Damien may have been killed by his brother. "It is an investigative avenue that we are following up on, but we can't say that definitively at this point" the spokesperson added. Myles said to briefly appear on Tuesday, September 6 back in the James Smith Cree Nation. However, a search of the reserve that day turned up no sign of the suspect.
Meanwhile, all ten victims of the shocking stabbing spree have been identified. Sanderson brothers were described as armed and dangerous by the police who were the chief suspects in attacks on 29 people in 13 different locations. According to Regina police chief, Evan Bray, Myles has been wanted since May as he stopped going to court-mandated visits with his parole officer. He disappeared while out on parole on a five-year sentence for assault, robbery, mischief, and making threats. However, Myles will now face charges including three counts of murder in the first degree, one count of attempted murder, and one count of breaking and entering.
Earlier, a police alert was issued and the search expanded from Saskatchewan to include neighboring Manitoba and Alberta provinces - a vast region half the size of Europe to find Myles. Before Damien's death he was previously charged with one count of murder in the first degree, one count of attempted murder, and one count of breaking and entering. Blackmore, Assistant Commissioner of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, stated that some of the victims appear to have been targeted by the suspects but others appear to have been attacked at random. The attack is considered one of the deadliest incidents in Canada's modern history.