Woman left almost blind in one eye after microwaved eggs explode in her face: 'I could feel my skin peeling off'
Not every DIY hack works out well as some can be really disastrous.
22-year-old Bethany Rosser found out the hard way when she decided, based on "endless websites and YouTube videos", that it was safe to boil eggs in a microwave as long as she had added salt.
As reported by Mirror, the Worcestershire-based resident recalled how she was making breakfast before work and had googled whether one could make boiled eggs in the microwave.
"On a page, it said that you could microwave the eggs as long as you add salt to the eggs in the water, to prevent them from bursting," she revealed.
She then added salt and left two shelled eggs to boil in the microwave. She took them out after six minutes and shut the microwave door. Rosser then looked into the pot to see how much the eggs had boiled when they exploded in her face.
"They just burst all of a sudden. As I splashed myself, I could feel my skin peeling off," she recalled.
While in terrible pain, she dialed for an ambulance and was taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital's burn unit in Birmingham.
She then proceeded to wash her face with cold water but could already feel the skin peel off.
"It felt horrible, I was in total agony. I could feel my skin burning for hours afterward – even while it was being treated in hospital," she added.
Rosser is still in the hospital and her eye is so swollen that doctors are unable to check whether any permanent damage has been done.
Rosser shared that she was unsure whether she would be able to see out of the swollen eye once she was better. Her skin is also at the risk of being permanently damaged as well.
"I’ve been advised the burns shouldn’t scar, but that I should expect discoloration," she said.
She further added that she has learned her lesson and will never boil eggs in the microwave again. She also hopes that nobody else will either given how dangerous it actually is.